Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eichenlaub und Schwertern wartime?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know your opinion on the below pictured silver Eichenlaub und Schwerten. My friend bought it from a family in Austria with other german wwII stuff. It is silver hallmarked and beautifully crafted.
    Could it be 1950´s production or WWII era privately made to order item?

Have you ever seen anything like it?

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Hello,
    Not wartime but most likely R. Souval of Vennia.
    Regards,
    E.

Comment

It‘s a very interesting piece. Even though it differs from old Souval display pieces in a few details, it’s still a variant related to them IMO. Difficult to say just how old they are. I believe they were made before the 1950‘s.
      It might also be interesting to know, that this style of OLS was used as the base for the diamond variants. Souvals regular OLS have a different design.

Regards,
      Alex

Comment

I agree with Alex. In 1980 Dr. Klietmann wrote Mr. Umlauf of Rudolf Souval and asked if he could provide him with a set of the oakleaves with swords (“die fertige Fassung”) which was used for producing their oakleaves with swords and diamonds. Mr. Umlauf did so.

Document 1-4: Letter from Dr. Klietmann to Mr. Umlauf dated 7. August 1980. Answer from Mr. Umlauf dated 19. August 1980. Source: HEROLD, “Ordenskundliche Sammlung Klietmann”, box (“Kapsel”) 235 (“Orden mit Brillanten, Deutsches Reich”).
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much for posting these letters between Dr. Klietmann and Mr. Umlauf. Very interesting to read.
          Here is a larger picture of such a base variant of the same production period as discussed in the letters. The quality of the early pieces is much nicer of course.

An interesting detail to note is that the OLS from the first post are much more vaulted than any of the other Souval OLS. This detail might not show well on the pics posted but it becomes very clear when handling and comparing these pieces in person.

Comment

thanks a lot, guys! This forum is just incredible!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X