Opinions on this early EKI Spange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this early EKI Spange

Anyone care to comment on this early piece? I've been looking for one of these for a while and feel that this is a good one. Whadda ya think? What would be a fair price for this piece? BTW, these are the best pics I could get.

Cheers.
    Attached Files

picture #2 of 4

Attached Files

Comment

picture #3 of 4

Attached Files

Comment

picture #4 of 4

Attached Files

Comment

Case looks like it may be original, though all those I have seen up to now have had rounded corners. I would have some reservations about the clasp though. As far as I am aware there are only two types of First Pattern Spange that turn up and they are fairly distinctive.

The type at top is the only type I have ever seen come cased in this type of box.
          The one that is in it looks very much like a standard B H Meyer Clasp with the ends of the date plaque re-worked to give them a curved edge.

Another one of these modified standard Clasps was featured in another thread recently. Note how the curved edge is thinner at the bottom where it looks to have been filed away, than at the top.
          Nice box, but I don't like the clasp. Just my opinion of course. Like to hear what others think.

Gordon
          Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 10-13-2002, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Whoa!!

Hey guys, this particular spange is either making the rounds, or we have a new fake in our community.

We discussed this (type) of spange back in April when another member had bought it or was considering it and posted questions on what we thought about it. Here's the thread:

Wehrmacht Awards and Decorations Forums - EK1 Spange Scallop Opinions?

Stay away!!
            Tim

Sorry, I don't know how to link this one.
            Bumped the old post above this one for easy reading.
            Last edited by Tim Ball; 10-13-2002, 03:00 AM.

Comment

These Are The Same Spanges!

This is the same spange as shown in the previous Rhudspith thread, or it has the same die characteristics at least.

You can see the line (scratch?) to the right of the catch and two tiny indentations or black lines on the top left reverse side of the date bar. The PIC has been taken almost at the same angle on the same background (you can see the dirt or "?" just to the right of center, only slightly darker in one PIC.

Bad spange and who is the seller anyway!?
              Tim
              Last edited by Tim Ball; 10-13-2002, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the enlightenment

This spange is being offered by Stewart Wilson of The Old Brigade. His URL is http://www.theoldbrigade.co.uk/

Thanks to both Gordon and Tim for sharing their views on this one. I have to say that I was very excited when I first found this, but I'm glad that I posted the photos here and asked the question.

Tim, do you think the spange itself is bogus, or , do you tend to lean towards the view that Gordon puts forth; the spange had been tampered with?
                Last edited by herrgeezer; 10-13-2002, 02:45 PM.

Comment

David,

IMO, I think the spange is a typical authentic spange with flat pin, but it is not an early form with scalloped edges, but one that has been tampered with (poorly by the way) to appear as one.

Did you read the other thread that I moved up (Rhudspith's EK1 Spange)? This is the same spange with the PIC slightly different; one has the pin open and the other closed, but they are one in the same spange.

I have looked at The Old Brigade before and almost purchased from them last Christmas until I started asking for additional PICS. They were selling a totally bogus GWL Observer and I pointed out all the defects and sent PICS of two originals to compare with. The only response I got was "We'll have to look into it". The badge remained on their site until I quit looking at them.

Personally, though their site almost mirrors Regimentals in layout, I would not buy anything from them and believe they are unreliable in weeding out bad items, or deliberately...
                  Tim

Comment

Tim

I'm totally with you here... I had a similar experience with Regimentals and a silver Spanish Cross with swords that they were (are at last look still are) selling. Totally bogus and I pointed it out to them.

I only received contempt and that they knew better. According to them it is 100% original!!

Still, I would keep looking at their sites because as far as I can see they're good reference point for FAKES !
                    It's good to have dealers like these as they bring us all the newest fakes to hit the market. Nice one lads...Big thumbs up!

IMO these dealers who refuse to remove these 100% fake items from their inventory make it clear their intentions in deceiving, and they are just low-life criminals !

Rich
                    Last edited by Rich G; 10-14-2002, 03:03 AM.
                    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X