Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Merit Cross with Swords in Gold & Box

Hello,

I've been collecting military stuff for 50 years and now I'm thinking of passing it on to the next generation of collectors. One Item I've had for years is a War Merit Cross with Swords in Gold and it's in the original box with the name Kernach & Osterholt Dresden AI. The only mark on it is a 62 stamped on the locking pin bar but nothing else on the back.

This cross came from the collection of a 101st 502nd PIR paratrooper who's estate I purchased from his son in 1995. This 101st paratrooper was an amazing soldier, he started his career as a volunteer in 1939, was a Sergeant during Operation Torch, after returning to England he joined the 101st and had 4 combat jumps, 3 purple hearts, silver star, 2 bronze stars, was in every major battle the 101st participated in. This paratrooper volunteered for the invasion of Japan, request denied, but was told if he wanted to stay in Bavaria, ok. He left Germany Dec 1946.

This soldier must have brought home 1/2 of Germany, there were silver pieces, lots of guns, some German medals, German paratrooper gravity knives, some beautiful rangefinders, 2 sheets of Hitlers personal and Berlin HQ stationary, a mint 3 piece nazi banner and other misc items.

I have no idea how to post pics but if you send me your text or email I can send pics of this War Merit Cross.

Thanks.

First off, welcome.

Second, if you do a search for 'how to post photos', you'll find all the info you need.

Just as a heads up, and no ill will intentioned, without pix you might be meet with skepticism. This sort of description has been used ad nauseam by ripoff artists in the military field. Again - nothing personal, just saying.

All the Best
    H
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Here you go, posting photos of the War Merit Cross 1st Class. No doubt that this is an original and excellent condition cross in its original case that has had a rough life after the war.
      Thank you,
      Dale
      Attached Files

Comment

The case is typical K&O. Is that plated or just the tone ?

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,
          Not sure but I've asked for natural sunlight photos of both front and reverse to get a better idea of the color and the needle. To me it looks like a stunning tombak version that has toned over the years but new photos will hopefully reveal all.
          Dale

Comment

Here are more pictures. I believe it is a nice tombak piece and the silver has toned over the years to a nice golden hue.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just wanted to ask others for their opinions, have any of you ever seen a tombak KVK1 achieve this level of golden colored toning before? I haven't seen it in person, but it looks real to me, though I can't recall ever seeing any KVK1 look this gold before.
              Thank you,
              Dale

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X