Ek1 unmarked with flaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ek1 unmarked with flaws

Hello, beginner collector here, what could you tell about this cross, please?
    I see it has big flaws on 6 and 9 o clock arms and the paint is in bad shape.
    I could not figure for myself what maker is.
    Thanks,
    Horia
    Attached Files

IMO this is a Steinhauer & Lück type

Comment

Yes an early S&L type .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
        Yes an early S&L type .

Douglas
        Why would an "early" type (of any maker) have frame flaws that severe?

best
        H
        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Many early makers start up or growing pains .... trial and error - to get things just right .
          Various contributing factors : like material used, proper die hardening and alignment have to be just right .

S&L and Meybauer are known to have used frames with lots of flaws( even some early R3 Deschlers) ...
          It was up to the individual companies - to set a cut off point when the production die started failing .
          Most threw out the die at the first appearance of flaws others - when it got visually too noticeable ?
          The painted frosting method helped with hiding flaws to some degree .

With S&L we have their bin method . .. with the last struck frames being on top and used first .
          I have talked to others to see if there is any idea how many frames these rolling bins could have held . ... a few thousand frames .
          The case here with S&L they supplied many joining companies with tooling and or frames - so they went through a few dies doing this .
          Also how long a production die could be used is not predictable and no data is obtainable .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
            Many early makers start up or growing pains .....edit

....obtainable .

Douglas
            Thanks Douglas.

H
            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X