• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison 6 o'clock arms.
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Try this...The repair to the 3oc portion of the die is quite evident when looking at the other arms on the same cross...rough vs. smooth and clean!!

Sal this really isn't about post war crosses it's more a drive to show evidence of one or more die and with the pics so far I think that the ONE die school prevails.
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

smooth....!
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
          ... and with the pics so far I think that the ONE die school prevails.
          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Don't give me faces!!!

That is the only rough area on the cross...it sure doesn't appear on the others I looked at.

This at least goes way beyond the might be, could be, I heard etc. It's clear the surface finish is different!!

DM, break out that microscope and have a look....!
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Dave,

it seems you did not look at the pictures I posted. That's the reason for the 'face'. I had a look with the scope - at both crosses..

Dietrich
              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

I did but I only saw frosting...I'm showing the metal surface which on my other S&L crosses AND the other arms on the 935/4 the surface is wonderfully smooth and crisp....the area shown is rough and gives the impression of the die being worked but not completely smoothed out.

As an aside...the 'dimple flaw' you clearly show on my cross toward the top of the arm....does it appear on the cross you now have in hand?
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Neither cross has frosting. The 'real' frosting that is, both are painted.
                  The crater you mean? Does not show on the un-magnetic un-marked.

Dietrich
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Dietrich, I mean the cross (935/4) you have in hand!

Symantics.....ok the whitish/yellowish covering on the crosses you show does not allow a view of the bare metal and the magnification is not sufficient even if the white/yellow substance was not present!
                    Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

Dave,

lost again. I have no cross in hand. Those are all my archived pictures.

Dietrich
                      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Somewhere early on in this debate you said you had one enroute and then alluded to having it in hand...
                        Regards,
                        Dave

Comment

This is what I said:

" ..and there are post-45 Type B crosses (one is in the mail to me right now as we speak....) ..."

It's not a 935-4! It's an un-magnetic, unmarked, unflawed B-Type. And it has not arrived yet. I will post of course as soon as it get here.

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Sorry! However, I know you have a 'file' on the 935...800/4 and 935/4 so I wonder have you seen the crater, flaw, indentation or whatever on these croses at the top of the 3oc arm?
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                              Repair material is much better today. The link tells us 1954 was a breakthrough in material quality. It tells us before that dies were repaired than failed over and over after use.

Fact.

Brian,

Fact? Do we really know this for certain?

Tony
                              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

I have only pictures 'good' enough (via the scope) of the 935-4 and the 800's. Only the 935-4 has it. Not he post war, nor the 1957's.

Dietrich
                                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 63 users online. 0 members and 63 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X