This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave and Brian!

When I started this project, I was absolutely convinced I will find solid evidence for one die. This was always my strong position. Strating the project, I had one very big benefit going into this topic: I do not own any S&L RK. It was always and will always be a "doubt on the judgment" if one own the piece(s) in question, something Dave sometimes brings up during the Rounder-discussion. And that is quite natural and gives any discussion the neccessary 'drive'.

As I outlined in my article, I saw two big problems with the S&L controversy:

- the flaw and it's nature
    - the time line and the flaws

I think that I have proven beyond reasonable doubt that the flaw(s) are intrinsic features of the die producing each frame. As Dave shows with his minute details, those are reproduced all the time, if present. The same happens with the 'real' flaws. I don't think one can reasonably assume that the 'good' flaws that alledgedly support the one die theory are always there, but that the 'bad flaws' (i.e the ones that make the difference between A- and B-Type) come and go as they please or in a way to support the one die theory. And yes, the flaws are identical in shape and form, as Fig. 9 shows.
    However, they are only identical in shape and form inside each Type. Flaws between A and B Type are not identical, as Fig. 35 clearly shows.

Before the article we were all under the assumption that a flaw is a flaw and everybody (minor exeptions granted) was convinced there is one die. Harry already showed in an earlier thread some evidence for two dies.

With the more detailled pictures it became clear that the flaws do not look the same and to support the one die theory one needs to believe that the extraction of the frame out of the die causes different distortions.

However, those different distortions go completely along the line of the type of cross, i.e. one "set of distortion" for flawed 800 and one set of distortion for "flawed unmarked". I cannot and will not subscribe to this theory.

So far no theory has been brought forward for one die regarding the 'dent row' at the inner 3 o'clock arm of the B-Type. To reconcile this dent row with one die, this row also has to come and go and always in relation to the type pressed. The 'soft silver theory' doesn't work either because this flaw row shows with 935-4, 800-4, 800 and Neusilber.

The different pressure theory also doesn't work, because we have all thoses materials present.

So far, no explanation has been brought forward to explain one die and the presence of the knee flaw, which - very consistent and completely along the line with my "two die theory" - appear always in conjunction with the other flaws in pairs:

- 6-9 o'clock knee flaw and dent row
    - 9-12 o'clock knee flaw and 3 o'clock flaws

Coincidence? Die pressure? Material? Distorted Extraction? Vise Clamps?

Or two dies?

I remember very well the earlier discussions! The problem were the 935-4. No (visible) flaws but also no provenance and very, very likely late war. Now it is absolutely clear in my mind and I don't need to fall back on all kinds of 'possible but far fetched" explanations, as we all did before with the bin theory and such. As Dave always says, if you need to explain all kinds of strange circumstances, it's not good.

The indication of the dent row in a very pristine condition, the obviously smaller size of the frame and the 6-9 o'clock knee flaw (all big, visible and pronaunced) on the 935-4 compared to the flawed 800 were all these features are not present, but others, which are not present at the 935-4 and also under the very reasonable assumption that both are late war is for me absolute and definite proof of two dies.

To "sanction" the 935-4 it needs to be early, or it needs to have gotten a special treatment with the already flawed die. A treatment that made all regular flaws disappear, leave all the minute flaws, create the dent row, take away the 9-12 o'clock knee flaw and put the 6-9 o'clock flaw in, make the rim a little smaller. And this treatment is not soft silver related, since there are 800-4 and Neusilber.

And S&L used this special treatment also for the 1957 edition, at least in the beginning? Everyting is possible.....

The bin theory doesn't work either, who would sort this mess out?

My opinion about this subject is out and can be read by everybody. Everybody must make his own mind up. If somebody or everybody can honestly reconcile the findings with one die, sitting alone in the study, unbiased and without preconceived opinion, this is absolutely perfect and fine for me.

At least one thing is clear for me (and the numerous e-mails and PM's confirm it) that I have shown solid, logic and reproducable evidence for two dies. Something I wanted to refute in the first place.

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Thanks for the work and the article, Dietrich-

As Dave notes, all the S&L crosses share multiple very minute flaws which occur in the same position with the exact shape. I can also see the difference in the two sets of flaws you have posted on the vertical band of the 3 oclock arm.

How do you explain the exact reproduction of these minute flaws on both the type A and B crosses? Is the "mother-daughter" die or master die process so precise as to create these precise minute flaws, or would we see differences in these small flaws as well if they were the result of production from the mother and daughter dies?

Interestingly, on the junkcer crosses, which appear to have a clear timeline, these minute flaws seem to not only appear over time, but increase in size from early crosses to late crosses using what everyone thinks is one die. Why don't we see that as well on the S&L? Why do we not see small "new" flaws (beyond the large "cracked die flaws) and progression of the existing small flaws?

I do not know the answers to these issues, but as everyone else, find your efforts interesting and appreciate your efforts. Is there something to be learned as well with comparison with the other crosses like the juncker with regard to this flaw issue? Thanks

Comment

Tom,

Thanks!

An investigation into the Juncker crosses is in my opinion a boring enterprise since there is not even the slightest doubt about the time line and the one die.

Having said that, it might be very interesting to do it anyway since with the microscope and detailled study of 'your' flaws one might be able to establish a firmer time line. Time placement of the "2" marked crosses could be confirmed.

But beware, there is always a time difference between stamping and assembly. This could be one day, this could be 1/2 year...

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Thanks Dietrich-

I agree that the juncker data is well established. Given that, perhaps what can be important then is learning what happens to these flaws with an accepted time line, despite being a different maker. I agree that there is no controversy there, but that may help somewhat in seeing exactly what happens to these flaws and perhaps applying information to the S&L. If flaws behave in a particular manner in one manufacturer, one would expect similar behavior with a similar manufacturing/stamping process.

Also, further "data" is always helpful if available. Perhaps if there is requests for detailed photos of flaws on S&L crosses in specific locations this increased "data" may help to solidify any theories, either pro or con. I would think that anyone who has a S&L would be happy to do so.
          Last edited by tom hansen; 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Being a man of few words I can only go with what is in hand! I can take something and look at it at all angles utilizing all sorts of lighting and various degrees of magnification!

Here are four more examples of the SAME flaws from the SAME die!

The pics I have shown are not based in theory, conjecture or any other intangible. The pictures speak for themselves. I have lost count now of the number of distinct 'flaws' that show in exactly the same position albeit with various degrees of severity but the FACT is they are there.

Just like with the Juncker crosses and the concensus that the 'tiny' fingerprints CAN NOT be replicated...I hope I have shown that here with the pictures shown.

We may never get a group to agree but it keeps the discussions going!

I see only ONE die!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dave Kane; 04-29-2005, 11:30 AM.
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Attached Files
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Attached Files
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Dave,

even if you show 100 more pictures of identical features it still does not explain the differences.

The core of the S&L problem always was (and still is) the visible flaws which appeared over time and got worse and the related time line of the models.

Under the assumption there was only one die, you need to find an explanation for the following facts:

- the coming and going of the 3 o'clock flaws
                    - the coming and going of the two different knee flaws
                    - the coming and going of the dent row at the lower 3 o'clock arm
                    - the different flaw pattern at the 3 o'clock arm between what I call A and B type
                    - the evidently different frame size

Those are the facts that are out there and they need to be reconciled into one die. That's all.

How can this flaw row be present on all observed B-Types and is completely invisible on all observed A-Types?
                    Could you please post a picture of this area from your "800"?

Dietrich
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dietrich; 04-29-2005, 11:59 AM.
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
                      How can this flaw row be present on all observed B-Types and is completely invisible on all observed A-Types?
                      Could you please post a picture of this area from your "800"?

Dietrich
                      This is not a 'die flaw'.

Think about it.

It's not excess material like the ridges created crevices, it's just the opposite. It's an abundance of material on the beading die that keeps the material from forming into a nice round beading.

Why?

Let's discuss this for what it is, not what it is not.

At worst it's a die imperfection. Not enough material of the die itself routed out of the die to enable the die to make the appearance of nice rounded edgeds. This could have been repaired simply by routing out the material of the die.

Or, a build-up of material inside the die of some sort of material that stayed behind. I tend to think not but I'm not sure.

But it is not a die flaw.

Comment

My thought was 'weld' or metal splatter caused by ????? It needn't be more than 0.24mm in thickness to create the dents.

And, when cleaned off after a 'run' the die is right back to normal!
                        Regards,
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                          My thought was 'weld' or metal splatter caused by ????? It needn't be more than 0.24mm in thickness to create the dents.

And, when cleaned off after a 'run' the die is right back to normal!
                          Yes, some serious schmutz.

Comment

Here is some 'sheet steel' from a WWII ship with weld splatter....!

Incredibly slight and can barely be felt but one knows it's there...then add a bit of softer material and a slap with a hammer! Not a flaw at all but rather a raised and if cleaned a transient defect!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

The pressed material....
                              Attached Files
                              Regards,
                              Dave

Comment

Okay, Schmutz! 10 ton resistent Schmutz that was always present when the 935-4, 800-4 and the 57 was pressed, BUT never when the original 800 (flawed and unflawed) was pressed.

- and always in the same spot
                                - and always in the same form
                                - and always in the same angle
                                - especially the 5th from the right was very resistent Schmutz

But Dave, it could not have been cleaned away!

The 57 still have the Schmutz and so has the heavily flawed un-magnetic cross (where we all seem to agree that it is post war). So once the Schmutz was in (I like to call it a die flaw) it stayed there till way after the 57 cross 1st Version as the attached picture shows. Some faded out (as can be exspected over let's say 15-20 years...) but it's clearly still there in the end. The end being a S&L cross with heavily flawed 3, 6 and 9 mo'clock arms.

So cleaning (or as Brian said: routing out the beading which is correct) would be an irreversible process. A repair if you will.

Brian, whether this is a die flaw or an imperfection is semantics. I still continue to call it a die flaw because:

- it is a distinct feature of the die
                                - it is not intended by the 'maker' and therefore a flaw

Dietrich
                                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X