Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKI with EKII Frame

Hi Guys,

Years ago when I first started collecting I bought this cross believing it was a "hoard cross". I was very naive to say the least. Is there any hope for this cross? It was obviously repainted at the very least.
    Other features that could help identify a maker or faker is the lower left side of the number 1 is cut off or incomplete and the top of the 3 is straight across with no downward hook. Also you can see the small mark on the frame in the 6 o'clock position for an EKII loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Looks like a good W&L to me. Frames with the EK2 dot turn up infrequently, but aren't unknown.

Best
    H
    Last edited by Hank C.; 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I encountered this on a ground dug example so indeed it might happened!

Comment

Thank you guys for the reply.

I am very, very, very sorry about these pictures! My home computer is dead so I am using my phone which is horrible. Under the microscope I can see the paint pealing in the corners revealing the original paint underneath. You can see the paint cracks all over the core in my bad pics. So maybe a good W&L cross that's been updated with new paint!

I will check out some other W&L crosses for comparison.

Thank you for the information!

Comment

Is the core magnetic ?
          Some makers did do a factory touch up painting after assembly .
          Has a nice early case .

Douglas

Comment

Hi Douglas,

It sure would make me feel better if a factory touch up was the case. I guess I would have to fire up my GCMS to be sure!

This one has an iron core.

Thanks for your comments
            Kirby

Comment

Hi Kirby :

Re-paint or more a 'touch up spray' was done by many companies to cover up flaws or minor damages occurring during assembly .
              Mostly hard to detect . A quick fine spray - one will not be able to notice . A thin masking template was placed on the core to protect the beading .
              Depending on the paint consistency and how much was sprayed -- this new layer then becomes faintly to very noticeable .
              Below a few examples of core touch up : from hard to see and up to the well defined .

Douglas
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Douglas,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your very informative post. In contrast to the crosses you've shown this one has what I would call a heavy coat of paint over the original. There is a lot of over spray on the inside of the beading so at best a poor attempt was made to mask this off.

Unfortunately my pictures do not show all there is to see so for the sake of completing the thread I will add better pics as soon as I'm able.

Thank you all for answering my questions!

Kirby

Comment

Hi Guys,

I said I would add better pics but life got funny and I got behind on some things. Anyway for what it's worth these are the closeups of what I believe is a possible post war repainted core. You can see it's a fairly heavy coat and of course it's pealing. From a distance it really looks good!

If anyone has any more thoughts or opinions on the paint I would like to know. Again I really appreciate all who commented previously.

Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes it looks like a post war paint touch up .

Douglas

Comment

Thank you for the confirmation, Douglas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X