David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1914 EK2- Black for Combat and White for NonCom- Or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 EK2- Black for Combat and White for NonCom- Or is it?

I've been collecting for close to thirty years now. When it came to the 1914 Iron Cross ribbon, the rule of thumb for me has always been the predominately black ribbon was for combat-related merit/valor and the inverted white ribbon was for those who filled non-combattant roles and homeland merit. Well, many years of research by Chris Boonzaier seems to turn this rule on its head.

Please take a moment to review this heavily researched article and provide your thoughts.

Now, from what I can see, these white ribbons were almost exclusively for civilian presentation (officials are not considered to be military). This explains why we never see a white ribbon with the 1939 Spange affixed.

http://www.kaiserscross.com/286801/640801.html

Regards
    Paul

Ek

Non-combatant award. Jim

Comment

Evidence reveals some of the black ribbon awards were presented for non-combatant roles.

Comment

Basically the white ribbon in 14-18 was for civilians and officials inside the borders of Germany... everyone else got a black ribbon....

in 1870 and 1813 it was different...

Comment

Great article/post, Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
            Evidence reveals some of the black ribbon awards were presented for non-combatant roles.
            This is why you see some medal bars with the '14 EK2 (on black ribbon) with the Hindenburg Cross without swords. I can not recall the exact number of non-combatant EK2s (on black ribbon) but I believe it was somewhere in the 800s.

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Only 800ish? Wow. So even the black EK2 with NC HK on a ribbon bar should be a super rarity.

Comment

I will have to find the info on the exact number, I have it somewhere : )

Gary B
                ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X