Schloss Klessheim, again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schloss Klessheim, again...

We have all seen items that suppose to come from the late days of Schloss Klessheim.

I’m sure that many of the items “we” did see, came from this castle!

But how can we be safe to say that they actually DID come from this place?

I find that many “high end” sellers use the term “Schloss Klessheim” for their unique pieces with diamonds (and off course in mint condition!).
    Like this is one of a kind, mint, direct from the “source “...
    Not many, actually knows....

Other than the few that did visit the castle in the beginning of May 1945.

Can we trust all this “guaranteed original by a war veteran “.

I don’t think so....

So what do you, collectors think?

What’s your experience with this?

Last, how do we, serious collectors react, to keep this (most of the the time shady business) from not spreading to the common market?

Kind regards
    vonLind

There is actually no physical proof ANYTHING came out of there...just stories

Comment

There are a few photos of GI's sitting at an elegant table in the Schloss wearing high German decorations. I do not own these, but I have seen them.

But you are mostly correct: almost everything is oral history.

Comment

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
        There is ample evidence and contemporary documentation. If one takes the time to research one can find that out easily. The notion that there is “no proof ANYTHING came out of there ... just stories” is - with all respect - utter nonsense and is testament to great ignorance.

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Dietrich is correct. I was speaking only of photographic proof (which is what everyone seems to want).

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
            There are a few photos of GI's sitting at an elegant table in the Schloss wearing high German decorations. I do not own these, but I have seen them.

But you are mostly correct: almost everything is oral history.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

To be perfectly clear

I’m not saying that Schloss Klessheim is just an excuse to sell unique items.
              I’m sure that many fine medals etc, came from this castle.

My point is that Schloss Klessheim has become some sort of quality “stamp”, in my opinion.

If you add all the medals, that some sellers claim to be from this castle-there had to be a LOT of medals there.

Trough this thread, I would like to hear your experience with items from Schloss Klessheim.

Not judging, just want learn some more.

Kind regards
              vonLind

Comment

Klessheim

Hi

I dont think it will ad much or anything to medals value it came
                from Klessheim. It sounds like the castle had a large stock of medals.
                Sometimes pieces change hands and go from dealer to dealer.
                It’s to expect that medals from the castle are available.
                But yes first of all buy the item not the story.

BR
                Nicolai

Comment

Originally posted by vonLind View Post
                  If you add all the medals, that some sellers claim to be from this castle-there had to be a LOT of medals there.
                  And there have been a LOT of medals there! If you read the reports of the moving of the storage of the Präsidialkanzlei from Berlin to (finally) Schloss Klessheim, then you will realize how much it was.
                  The dispute about Schloss Klessheim is nothing new and mainly results out of laziness to study the history, in some instances it is only pure theater and grand standing. There are enough reports in German language and in English language to educate yourself.
                  Additionally, if a piece is offered the first test is always originality, not "story". If a potential buyer relies only on the story, in this case Schloss Klessheim, he is easy prey for some. However, that lack of due dilligence cannot be blamed on Schloss Klessheim but squarely rests on the shoulders of the buyer.
                  B&D PUBLISHING
                  Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Nicely wrote Dietrich.

btw as I collect only worn pieces and not unissued is all the Schloss related stuff not interesting at all for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
                      An excellent article in the International Militaria Collector magazine, Volume 4, Number 3. Honestly, I was a bit of a doubter myself until I read this article.

Tom
                      Attached Files
                      If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                      [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                      Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                        An excellent article in the International Militaria Collector magazine, Volume 4, Number 3. Honestly, I was a bit of a doubter myself until I read this article.

Tom

Comment

Indeed, the information is out there and available. All one has to do is show a bit of initiative to educate themselves so that they don't make absurd statements as one member did in this thread.

Chet
                          Zinc stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                            There is ample evidence and contemporary documentation. If one takes the time to research one can find that out easily. The notion that there is “no proof ANYTHING came out of there ... just stories” is - with all respect - utter nonsense and is testament to great ignorance.

Dietrich

a few pics of officerswearing a RK is not suffice.

Comment

definitive proof would be Klessheim printed catalogues listing quantities of RK etc..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X