RK Collector History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Collector History

Please add what you can to the history of modern knowledge of RKs.

I can find little to nothing in publications regarding RKs by maker. RK core and beading defintion.

Here's what I have from my library and knowledge base...

Signal Magazine - 1940's. Great photos and today we can draw conclusions from many of the RK photos. That is today...

"Orders, Decorations, Medals and Badges of the Third Reich" Littlejohn and Dodkins 1968. Nothing to indicate maker. Pages 117-118. A nice photo of an RK w Oaks on 118. No mention of makers. (Same year I got a Rounder.)

Gordon's book "The Iron Cross" 1984 does NOT detail makers and distinguishing characteristics. (I bought this because I knew NOTHING of the cross. Had one but knew nothing other than what I was told, "they are the equivalent of your grandfather's PlM for WWII."

"Auszeichnungen Des Deutschen Reiches" Kurt-G.Klietmann 1984. Some very nice dark photos but no conversation regarding cross maker type distinctions.

Gordon's book "Knights of the Iron Cross" 1987 begins to show some cross details. For me the first book to show something about the cross. The FIRST I had ever seen. This is mostly a winners book and not intended as a collector's guide to different makers. BUT, now we have an author talking about an L/12!

From Gordon, 1987, "...makers marks being only rarely encountered. The one which does occur most often, however, is that of the esteemed Berlin firm of C.E. Juncker, whose code number was L/12." And, this is important, "Collectors may occasionally encounter a specimen which bears the '800' silver mark and yet is clearly some other metal silver-plated. This does NOT necessarily indicate it is a reproduction. Continental hallmarking practices permit the use of silver marks on such pieces indicating the grade of the silver used in the plating!"

Ailsby's "Combat Medals of the Third Reich". No definition of maker types. 1987. But COLOR photos, I practically wore this book out looking at the photos.

Forman's "Guide to 3rd Reich German Awards..." 1988. Small photos and indications of hallmarked crosses worth more than others.

Why am I listing these resources? A lot of banter has come up lately about "Rounders showing up in the 70's." OK. Considering the first publication I can find of any definition of crosses at all was in 1987 what other publication before then, and I mean to indicate collectors knew about cross differences existed in the 70's? In the 60's?

I have some old Military Advisors but only from the early 90's.

Please help shed some light on the history of the knowledge of RKs.

Bowen (The Prussian and German Iron Cross) mentions S&L, Juncker, Deschler, Zimmermann, K&Q, and Otto Schickle as RK makers. I think that the first edition of that book was published in 1986.
    Geissler (Das Eiserne Kreuz von 1813 bis heute, 1995) lists "65", "L/12", and S&L (at least -- I didn't examine it thoroughly).
    Those two sources are getting a little bit more specific....
    George

Comment

Comes to mind...Doehl (sp?) I haven't read the book but supposedly period and re-published!
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Yeah, that's another source, Dave. But he doesn't list makers, just has pics of the individual awards. (Gimme a few secs and I'll post his RK pic. )
        George

Comment

Here it is. (Nice loop, huh? )
          Attached Files
          George

Comment

Not exactly a book on the RK makers...

Dave you're thinking "Die Auszeichnungen des Großdeutschen Reichs von Dr. Heinrich Doehle" Bln. Berliner Buch- und Zeitschriften-Vlg. 1943.

and

"Orden und Ehrenzeichen im Dritten Reich"Berliner Buch- und Zeitschriften-Verlag, Berlin 1940
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian S; 03-27-2005, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Dr. K.-G. Klietmann, the German order pope, head of the Institut fuer wissentschaftliche Ordenskunde,Berlin, is another respected sorce. I have his book "Deutsche Auszeichnungen", dated 1971.

Under RK he lists (page 100, Jc 4 22 16):

... maker markings are nearly never present, but if so, mostly L/12...
              ... weight between 29.5 - 33 gr. ....
              .... the loop is nearly always marked '900'...

And, so he states further, the ring is soldered separately to the cross!

So, if Dr. Klietmann was of this opinion, or better this was his extend of knowledge and investigation, how could somebody reasonably make any clear distinction in beading details (and mark a fake "7" and not L/12??)

Dietrich
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

We know he and the Mrs. had a business to run.....and just like the other 'Doctors' who will sign anything.....'S&L 2nd type' etc etc...............you know what mean
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Robin Lumsden, "A Collectors Guide to Third Reich Militaria", 1987: Mentions the marke codes, but gives no examples at all. Also 800 and 935 is mentioned.

Robin Lumsden, "Detecting the Fakes", 1989:

Rk's are manufactured by 3 companies only: Deschler, Juncker and S&L. S&L always marked "800", Deschler marked "1" and Juncker marked "L/12" but only after 1941. Duplicate copies with frames in "935" silver were made by Zimmermann und Schickle and K&Q, but only in insignificant numbers and the retail by those 3 companies was forbidden after 1941. In 44-45 crosses with Neusilver and Zinc cores did appear (Ersat-crosses)
                  And he also states that the ring on original Juncker crosses is soldered on, contrary to fakes with L/12 marking where the ring is part of the frame. Only Deschler and S&L had integral rings, not Juncker.

That was 1989. But the fakers knew how to do it right, even the "7"?

Dietrich
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                    We know he and the Mrs. had a business to run.....and just like the other 'Doctors' who will sign anything.....'S&L 2nd type' etc etc...............you know what mean
                    Dave,

yes, I know exactly what you mean but Nevergood was a lot later and Klietmann didn't need to surpress data to sell his (or mama's) fakes. Under oakleaves he says:

"Oakleaves are made of real silver. Reverse: some have silver content and maker mark"

That's all. Wouldn't he state: All are marked 900-21 and push the business??

Dietrich
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Oh gosh no!!!! Let's consider the time where Jeweler's could charge for 'pure', 'plated' or any combination.....

And, don't forget the basic law that ALLOWED silver plated items to be stamped with the 'content' (only) of the plating!!!!
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Tales of experts calling fakes "real" is not the point here at all. Is an L/12 fake because the same person has called a Rounder real?

I'm looking for good eighties late or not, documentation about RKs. I never saw it but I'd like to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                          And, don't forget the basic law that ALLOWED silver plated items to be stamped with the 'content' (only) of the plating!!!!
                          Where did you get THIS from. I'd like to see that law!

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Dietrich he got that from me. I quoted it from one of Gordon's early early books.

Comment

I would love to see that source, I mean the real source in German law!

Dietrich
                              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X