mm65 ek2 patina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mm65 ek2 patina

I bought a mm65 ek2 off Gailen David a few years ago. It was mint when it came in the mail. I believe it was cleaned. Now the metal frame has turned a dark color, similar to oil in a parking lot. I assume this is patina starting to develop again? Wonder when the "oil' look will go away?

nate

Last edited by Jim Baker; 04-23-2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

!

I haven't learned how to take good closeup shota yet. I lost the manual. I need to go online and learn how soon.

nate

Comment

Comment

dx4900

Yeah I can see some of that "oily" look on yours. Mine is much worse though. I found the manual online, but my camera is acting up. I really hate it. I have a kodak DX4900, 4.0 mega pixels. Do you think this camera is able to take closeups similar to yours?

Comment

Originally posted by nate ellis
            Yeah I can see some of that "oily" look on yours. Mine is much worse though. I found the manual online, but my camera is acting up. I really hate it. I have a kodak DX4900, 4.0 mega pixels. Do you think this camera is able to take closeups similar to yours?
            Hi,

Don’t waste your money on Kodak. Their cameras are ok for some basic pictures, but for sharp close-ups you will need to have something like Canon EOS 20D…anyway, I have the same problem with my first # 65. Check the pictures.

Best regards
            Robert

Comment

I'm with Robert on Kodak. I have a DX4900 also, and although I can manage to get good pics with it, it does "act up" quite frequently, especially when I'm trying to do close-ups.
              George

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Panzerman
                  Robert,

Nice cross. Like I said, you can take a q-tip and rub some of that crude off.

The patina on mine is just that. A blue tint. It still shines beautifully in the light, or maybe I should say it reflects the light. Robert, it looks like yours is also a little dirty.

Cleaning is up to you guys. I've heard for and against. With me it depends on what it is. Patina or dirt. Dirt is not history for me. And of course you never want to damage a piece.
                  Ok folks,

I will share with you my little secret. I’m collecting Nazi coins as well and I have some experience in silver cleaning from this field. The best way to remove tarnish is to use q-tips and eZest coin cleaner (for copper, gold and silver). Just dip q-tip in the cleaner and you can gently rub off the “dirt”. However, apply the dry cloth right after, because exposing silver for too long to the cleaner could be dangerous. I can guarantee you that your Iron Cross will look like new!

Best regards

Robert

Comment

That blue color, or the oily rainbow effect, is typical of the high silver content in the frame. It isnt so much a problem with the cross as much as it is the enviromment it is stored in. Short of putting the cross in a vacuum, you will not be able to stop it, but you might have success in controling it, at least partially, with proper storage.

If you use cotton swabs for cleaning, make sure that they are 100% cotton. Be careful of the paper stick though. Paper is made from wood, and wood isnt the softest thing around. That goes for tissue as well. What will happen is that you will cut microscopic grooves into the frame by rubbing back and forth. This will actually increase the surface area for tarnish to grow, and eventually make it more difficult to clean in the future.

Be aware also that some cross manufacturers got the shiny look by applying a surface coating. If you start rubbing on that, it will go away forever.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Last edited by Jim Baker; 04-23-2005, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Robert,

Aren't you worried about using chemicals on your crosses?? The strongest thing I've ever used is dish soap.
                        eZest coin cleaner is extremely gentle. And as I said, I’m using cleaner only in connection with q-tips. So the amount of the cleaner on the Iron Cross is very limited...but speaking about cleaning, as you may see, I’m not a big supporter of my military collectibles cleaning.

Comment

Last edited by Jim Baker; 04-23-2005, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Gotcha! I really do only clean "crud" from any pieces. First, I try not to buy them in too bad a condition, but when you really want something.

I don't think any self respecting soldier would let his awards get too nasty.
                            Ok Jim,

You motivated me enough to remove my cleaning tools from my closet…here is the same cross after quick cleaning action…

Best regards

Robert

Comment

!@!!

Much better!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X