RK Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Opinions?

a friend has been offered this RK and has asked my opinion before he lays out a sizeable chunk o' change. Being a hard-core Imperialoid, I figured I'd pick you all's brains on it.
    Front
    Back
    Back of Oak Leaves
    Back of Oakleaves, closeup
    Closeup of mark
    Zoom in on mark
    Any comments will be appreciated.

Tom- this is a fake. The ring dips into the frame, which is not a good sign. The swaz is a little large and the beading does not compare to that of known makers. Tell your friend to save his cash. He may want to look very closely at other items this seller is offering.

-Thanks for the help on the PLM!

Comment

I must give credit where it's due

The fellow who considered buying this set (for re-sale as he is a dealer) took the time to ask questions of an area that he wasn't fully familiar...

A very good move....
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

That is sadly a fake. As Tom say the ring dips in the frame. The oakleafs looks bad as well.

Sorry.
        Peter

Comment

So any RK with the ring dipping into the frame should be considered a fake? I am not trying to stir the pot, just trying to get confirmation on that statement.

Thanks

Comment

Laurence,

yes and no! There are contemporary pictures of a RK's with a dipping ring. No prooven example has shown up yet so the beading pattern and overall appearance is not established.

Therefore, great caution is advised, the more so since early german reproductions also had those dipping rings. Now in this case, paired with other 'nasty' signs one should stay clear.

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

The oak leaves are a terrible flat backed lifeless set of hardly finished fakes.

Comment

thank you for that...and I have decided not to buy the RK...however, the other items the vendor was offering me for sale were (in my opinion) all original, although I did not probe into any further detail on the remaining items, and when I put to him that the RK is a fake, he accepted that and did not push any further. Cheers, Torsten.
                Last edited by torstenbel; 03-31-2005, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Thorsten, welcome!!!
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                    Thorsten, welcome!!!
                    thanks. btw, the vendor told me that the cross and oaks came from the estate of Karl Wanka. Wanka's widow gave the items to his father in the 1980's. He did concede that the items could have been later purchases by him, since he only returned from Russia in 1956 and evrything was likely to have been lost during that time...he also told me that he had Wanka's original certificate for the RK, but that he sold that 2 years ago...possible story I guess, but then I find it strange that anyone buying the certificate would not also have bought the RK to go with it...???..anyhow, don't matter now...Cheers, Torsten

Comment

Thorsten, you may have more information than I but the 'story' seems a bit backward.

In a very general way of speaking I have found that the medals etc. have been the first to go BUT to get the documents from those old German families would be like pulling teeth.....
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X