Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of KC still around...

Friends,
    Is there an estimate of how many of the around 7.500 Knights Crosses handed out, that still exist? And also where in the world?
    Wonder,
    Mats

I have no idea how many of the awarded KC's is still around.
    But there also must be some still around that was never awarded.

Comment

Originally posted by mwl View Post
      Friends,
      Is there an estimate of how many of the around 7.500 Knights Crosses handed out, that still exist? And also where in the world?
      Wonder,
      Mats

If You count every KC which rests in a collection and is regarded as genuine by its owner, it must be estimated 25.000 ...

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
        If You count every KC which rests in a collection and is regarded as genuine by its owner, it must be estimated 25.000 ...
        Why must the estimate be put at that number? Seems arbitrary.

Comment

For starters, count here.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=628692

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
            Yes, approximatly 5 unique crosses on each page and 200 pages give 1 000 crosses....
            That’s it...

Comment

I believe it would all be speculative.

Assume, as a start, a figure of approximately 8000 awarded. Some of those were actually destroyed in combat and are gone forever. Some recipients lost in combat their pieces, but obtained replacements. (How many of the "lost" were later "found" by someone?) Some recipients were able to retain their pieces after surrender and others were not. The bulk of pieces taken by captors are most likely still around somewhere, whether in collections or still gathering dust "in the woodwork". Some are in the bottom of landfills, tossed out as rubbish in the years since the war. There are others which were kept "in stock" for future award, but never used, but find their way to dealer sites pretty frequently.

No one can truly "quantify who has what". I personally know 3 serious and respected collectors who own, between them, approximately 150 "for sure real" crosses (roughly 2% of the total awarded). I'm quite sure, just from conversations over the years, that there are other "hoarders" whose collections would astound.

My personal "feel" is that there are several thousand crosses "out there". Whether they will all ever enter (or re-enter) the market place is totally unknown. Also, my feeling is that crosses are over-priced. Most are anonymous and many of the attributed ones are tenuous at best.

Comment

2756!
                B&D PUBLISHING
                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

No, No, Dietrich!

3897!

Comment

Haha... Leroy and Dietrich
                    Then I figure, just between your Numbers... 3326,5
                    I would love to see that ”half cross”
                    Regards,
                    Mats

Comment

IMO impossible to estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                        IMO impossible to estimate.
                        Yes, I agree Ludwig... probably many crosses still in Germany that will never(?) reach the collectors marker..

Comment

Probably a couple of thousand left in my opinion. Mine is the only one that I've seen in person in my collecting circles and it was literally found in a can in the attic of a vet's widow. Who knows how many more attics contain treasures such as RK's. -Ger

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X