Non standard RK case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom hansen
    Just out of curiosity, is this case in the ballpark of the heavy ones that Dave I posted weights for (95 and 98g)?
    Dave/Tom
    Actually this is the crunch... weight is 106g which leads me to my other thread on RK weights to assertain are weights standard per style of case.

Allan, what can you tell me about the case you have shown?

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon
      Dave/Tom
      Actually this is the crunch... weight is 106g which leads me to my other thread on RK weights to assertain are weights standard per style of case.

Allan, what can you tell me about the case you have shown?

Rich

Richard- pry that case open! With a blunt tipped steak knife or a periosteal elevator (unless you are Harry or Pieter, you probably do not have one of those hanging around the house!) you can gently lift that base. It can take a little time, but have done it on several cases without damaging them. This weight is a little heavy compared to the other period cases posted, but sure looks like a period case. What is behind the backing would tell alot!

Comment

Allan,

I'm not so sure from the pictures there is any relationship to Rich's case. Is it my eyes, but they don't look the same ?

The catch although rounded, is 'iffy' it's just not 101% correct in my opinion. Nor for that fact is the outer covering and application esp around the hinge area and lower portion of the box......scruffy and not to a standard I would associate or indeed expect, but haveing waffled all that this is an opinion of a novice on these boxes and I'm more than willing to learn.

Opening the box would perhaps reveal a thing or two I'm sure !!!!

Kr

Marcus

PS Allan yours is genuine
        Last edited by MH184; 03-13-2005, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I did miss an observation this morning Rich......is the hinge assembled to the case utilizing 'pins'?

At a particular angle the nail/pin head should be visible.
          Attached Files
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Attached Files
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Attached Files
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                Great point, Dave. I remember you brought that up before with regard to x-ray images. From the images of Richard's case, it does not seem to have pins and probably has the wide flange trapeoids for attachments. If you look at Alan's case, you can see the "bumps" from the pins. Tony Yeoman had felt that the use of the trapezoidal attachment was not a definitive clue to post war, but it seems like a trend, with most of the wartime cases having the palpable bumps from the wire or "pin" attachment of the hinge to the case.

Comment

I like pins! That said however it is also well known that as manufacturing grew out of necessity so did the 'short-cuts'....

I recall that there was an assertion suggesting that the ^ ^ ^ ^ attachment was the newer, faster method and sidestepped the 'hand made' slower element.

It makes sense...just look at the 'new' method of making Iron Crosses that was widely embraced.

Did anyone save the pics from Leisure Gallery showing a slightly damaged and (assumed) K&Q case??? I think it evidenced the later ^^^^ attachment of the hinge.
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

In answer to your question, no there are no pins visible nor can I feel any so assume that the attachment is via tabs ^ ^ ^ ^

Where does that leave it?
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon
                      In answer to your question, no there are no pins visible nor can I feel any so assume that the attachment is via tabs ^ ^ ^ ^

Where does that leave it?

It does not mean that it is not a period case. The pins, as Dave points out, seem to be a feature on the earlier cases. There are photos on the site of x-ray views of the trapezoidal attachment. I will search for them later. It is too bad the base cannot be elevated in this case, as that would help answer alot of questions.

BTW Richard, I guess no one asked, but we all assumed it does not glow under UV light. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
                        It does not mean that it is not a period case. The pins, as Dave points out, seem to be a feature on the earlier cases. There are photos on the site of x-ray views of the trapezoidal attachment. I will search for them later. It is too bad the base cannot be elevated in this case, as that would help answer alot of questions.

BTW Richard, I guess no one asked, but we all assumed it does not glow under UV light. Is that correct?
                        I checked everything including any areas of exterior scuffing and absolutely no glow.

Rich
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X