MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KC found buried in the field (Ústecký Region)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steinar View Post
    or perhaps not, dont be so dramatic. Perhaps a pilot lost it in a crash, perhaps some animal stepped on it.
    I would not want to meet the animal who could to that to steel, maybe it could fly and he shot down your pilot

Comment

And maybe it has been hit by a plow or run over by a vehicle.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

No doubt ripping from the neck could easily do this.

Comment

How the suspension loop was damaged is all pure speculation. The recipient is unknown and the circumstance in which the cross became buried is not known either.

But are we sure it has not been removed from a grave? For if it were it should have been left with the warrior's remains.

All I would add is it is a super thing to find, and something I would enjoy owning.

Keith

Comment

The stupidity of some of the comments posted in this thread is mind numbing. It seems the less experience people have with digging, the more knowleadge and certainties they have.
            I wouldnt be surprised if kids were playing with this after the war and bent it.

JL

Comment

I agree with Jean-Loup.

The story can be as simple as that the Knights Cross was not simply fastened well enough around the neck and fell off during a unorganised retreat or planned attack. I've heard a few stories with RKT's cursing about that the award was lost in combat.

Or just that some unknown RKT did prefer to surrender to the Sovjets without that hanging around the neck.

Anything can be speculated, but without further information, all speculations are just wild imaginations.

The cross itself, a very nice find and I can imagine the face the person made, after removing a bit dirt from the cross he found and seeing what it actually is

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                And maybe it has been hit by a plow or run over by a vehicle.
                I agree, a plow could do this very easily.

Comment

loop

It looks like the loop has rust on it and would then not be an original part or can we get more images and info? The conjecture about what happened to it is most inane as Jean-Loup has noted.

Comment

That is an amazing find. Of course, many possibilities about how it ended up. Certainly one of those items that makes you say "If only it could talk!"

As for the grave robbing theories, I have to say I disagree. I know a few gents who collect relics using metal detectors and they are all more scrupulous and respectful than some professional archaeologists that I have worked with.

I don't mean to generalize and can only speak from my own experience, but I can't agree when I hear people tearing their hair out over an expedition to the Titanic for example that returns with recovered artifacts.

Personally, when I'm dead and gone, you can do whatever you want with what's left. I am not this meat sack that I'm trapped in. Again, I don't advocate "grave robbing" but at the same time, this world is for the living. And let me qualify that by saying that if you are caught "excavating" the remains of someone with living relatives and next-of-kin, you deserve to be horsewhipped.

Just my two Pence,

Z

Comment

Nice find! Congrats! -Ger

Comment

guys ditched their awards feeling the oncoming troops.

Comment

That might have been a portion of the ribbon. Now in the trash.

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                          It looks like the loop has rust on it and would then not be an original part or can we get more images and info? The conjecture about what happened to it is most inane as Jean-Loup has noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                            The stupidity of some of the comments posted in this thread is mind numbing. It seems the less experience people have with digging, the more knowleadge and certainties they have.
                            I wouldnt be surprised if kids were playing with this after the war and bent it.

JL
                            Yes surely the sons of superman with súper girl bent it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X