EK1 Spange Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 Spange Help

hi, can this spange maker be identified or is it a fake?

cheers, del.
    Attached Files

Hi Del,

Wait for the experts to chime in but to me it looks like an unusual version of the so called "unknown maker" EK 1 spange that some people attribute to Eugen Schmidthaussler of Pforzeim (they are always unmarked but I understand at least 2 examples were found cased with the outer cardboard box IDd to this maker)

Copies/repros of this spange do exist but yours doesnt show the most noticeable features of the known copies I have seen. On the other hand the head/beak profile, the shape of the wreath oak leaves and the talons on yours look different than on mine. The different looking head could be the result of the angle of the picture, wear and/or hand finishing but not the other 2 differences...

Anyway I like it and I hope someone will shed more light on your spange. In the meantime I have attached a pict of mine to compare

Regards

JC
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice job, JC, in your critiquing. I agree, certainly a copy.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
        Nice job, JC, in your critiquing. I agree, certainly a copy.

Robert
        Hi Robert

Maybe I wasnt clear and you may well be right but it doesnt look like your typical "Unknown maker/Schmidthaussler" repro to me... Looks different than "textbook" but with enough of this maker's "family traits" (wings, breast, eye, date box & numbers, general wreath style, canellated talons, hardware) to make me wonder if they could be related but come from a different die

IMO the only known fake for this spange (shown at right in the attached pict) has distinctive features that are different than those of the spange that started this thread and accepted originals of this type

Best regards

JC
        Attached Files

Comment

many thanks JC.

it's a strange one alright.

i thought Schmidthaussler after looking through the old threads but there are differences for sure.

i wonder if the area under the beak has been damaged?

cheers, del.

Comment

Hi Del

Again, most certainly out of my league here but I dont think your spange is damaged its just different because of the hand finishing. We tend to think this stuff was cooky mold perfect when it comes off the press but dies get worn and the edges become dull so badges required manual enhancing and vary a bit depending on the period and enhancer's skill (or mood)

Attached are 4 Schmidthaussler spanges; 2 from my archives plus yours and mine and they all have slightly different looking heads/beaks and necks but, as far as I can see, the eyes and the little "downward smirk" at the left of the beak are consistent on all 4. Also look at the differences in the hand enhancing of the talons on the 3 J1 Pilots in the 2nd picture: no "damage" here either, just different as can be expected from any human intervention IMO

Cheers

JC
            Attached Files

Comment

IMO, the spange that started this thread is not a form of Eugen Schmidhäußler.
              The tops of the wings resemble an Otto Schickle spange more than a Schmidhäußler. They are flat across the top and do not curve downward at the shoulders. The eyes are different as well.
              Ralph.
              Attached Files

Comment

spange

I have all unknown makers now (just received last one yesterday) and it doesn't match any of those. Like rbminis said it is not a Eugen Schmidhäußler the back side doesn't match either. I believe it is a imitation of Eugen Schmidhäußler and a fake, could be wrong. Jim

Comment

how odd
                  how thick is it? can we see the edge?
                  regards
                  jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X