Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L EK1 non-mag

Hi,

I picked up this example recently that was part of a small undocumented grouping from the family.

It appears to have classic S&L frames, core, hinge and main pin. The catch is the less common round-wire type but the core appears to be either nickel-silver or zinc (I'm thinking the former). There is scratching on the surface of the swas and there is no brass colour detectable.

The frames have imo never been apart. There appears to be hand filing on the inner reverse arm edges.

The cross weighs 20.82g, compared to a steel cored example weighing 19.11g.

Your thoughts?

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Not sure that is a S&L frame . Pin may have been replaced .
    The filing does not look like war time - strange ?
    So core is not magnetic ... would indicate early components that should not have a PKZ marked pin .
    Something odd about that EK1 ...

Douglas

Comment

Hi!
      Can it be a Orth cross with replaced pin?

Best Regard
      Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
        Not sure that is a S&L frame . Pin may have been replaced .
        The filing does not look like war time - strange ?
        So core is not magnetic ... would indicate early components that should not have a PKZ marked pin .
        Something odd about that EK1 ...

Douglas
        I agree with Douglas. Strange cross.
        Orth's core but the rest don't

Regards
        Jarek

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for your responses, appreciated!

The hinge area is one area I had not taken a really good look at (everything else, yes) - thanks for raising the pin issue.

I've taken a good look in the hinge area and there are indications which may point to a possible hinge-pin, and therefore possible main-pin, replacement. All I can say with certainly is that if it is a replacement it was not done in the last 20 years. Based on what I know of it's history, any possibly pin replacement would have to be a LOT older because, as far as I know, at that +-20 year ago mark it came from a family along with an IAB and BWB (ie not from a collector).

I'll state with some certainty that based on careful examination of the edges there are no indications that the frames have ever been apart - to the contrary actually, so the core and frames have always been together.

The hand filing in the inner reverse edges I am not concerned about as I've seen that to varying degrees on other EK1s from makers like Juncker, Meybauer, Orth and W&L (S&L too I think).

Re the beading, I've compared it pretty closely to a typical mid-war S&L marked EK1 and, apart from the beading on this example looking a lot sharper, the general form looks the same to me.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparvhök View Post
            Orth cross with replaced pin?
            I'd also say that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X