JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knights Cross War Merit Cross with Swords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knights Cross War Merit Cross with Swords?

Hello,

I hope I posted this is the right section. Anyways I just started watching The Man in the High Castle and I noticed Obergruppenführer John Smith who is the antagonist in the first 2 episodes (that's as far as I am) is shown wearing a Knights Cross of Iron Cross with oak leaves and Swords in the first episode and then in the second episode has what looks to be a Knights Cross of War Merit Cross with Swords. But the War Merit looks kind of weird with what looks like a Spange attached. Also the award appears to be painted black? My first thought was why would he wear a lower class award as time went on? I mean I have read that the KC WM with swords was awarded less in some cases and some Reich officials wanted to be "awarded" the KC War Merit just to have it. But that seems too in depth of a sub plot for the first 2 episodes. I was kind of thinking either this was an error on the prop masters part or it's a made up award for the show. For what it's worth I couldn't find anything that looked like the war Merit cross that he is wearing. But I am a newbie!

Thanks! Dave C

Oh by the way. Forgot to mention in my first post. I can't identify the ribbon in his button loop. It looks like a EK2 but with a thin black stripe down the middle?? Again I am a newbie so please don't embarrass me too bad!! Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I enjoyed the series too.

As you might guess, many of the uniform accouterments or awards are made up for the story narrative. The Knights Cross (of sorts) is a combination of the War Merit that you mention and the German Order (http://ailsby-collection.blogspot.co...th-laurel.html) I can’t recall if I saw in the series if Germans wore the same award. The button ribbon, as you point out, isn’t anything real but, presumably, applicable to the story narrative. Perhaps a bravery award issued during the American campaign.

Comment

Hello Rick, thanks for the info. I assumed it was made up for the show but wasn't sure. I also thought maybe the book describes the medals more thoroughly. But I have never seen the german order cross that you mentioned. I learned something today! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X