Knights Cross L/12 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
    It is more than just correcting marks. The frame itself (in several ways) is simply wrong. So is the core. They will have to re-do the frame and re-do the core. The dates are pretty good, but the swastika is too clean and crisp. I believe I saw the first one of these in a Manion's catalog several years ago and showed a photo here. It was certainly a shocker then, but not so much now after taking more time to carefully compare real vs. fake. The purchase of a cross is a serious thing. Perhaps you will miss a good one at a great price because you didn't have time to do your "due diligence", but that is simply a factor you can't ignore.
    Leroy- this is true for anyone who focuses hard on learning as much as they can, for the casual collector or one who only looks at these from time to time, such focus is not possible when one is looking at dozens of items every day.
    Great post though, and you are right.
    Eric

Comment

All these criminal forgers are trying to create the perfect copy but they were not able to do this, until yet.
      Hopefully this will never happen in the future, although the fakes are getting better and better and could fool the inexperienced collectors.

Comment

There is no such thing as a perfect copy! A perfect copy would be an original.

A copy is defined by the fact that it is NOT like the original, meaning there are clear differences, maybe only in very minute details. IF there are no more differences to discern the piece in question then it can't be detected as a copy and is therefore an original.

So, there is nothing to fear at all! A copy will always be detected as such. If not, it is an original!
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I agree with you, Dietrich... perfect copy is probably the wrong word... I mean nearly perfect copies... if someone has the criminal energy, the knowledge, the money, the time and can use modern technology, he would be able to create the best quality copies and I believe these fakes would also fool experienced collectors.
          Fortunately in most cases it fails by knowledge, money, time and technology,
          greedy forgers want to make money fast, luckily.
          Last but not least; All forgers should burn in hell

Comment

Again I am not 100% with the statements. If an experienced collector (say, on the field of the Knights Cross) is fooled, he is no experienced collector.

And I also don't think that the fakers are striving for a high level of perfection. It is not necessary. If you look around in certain fora (MFF comes to mind) it is astonishing how easy people are tricked into loosing their money. As long as people are tricked that easy and have the really stupid habit of buying first and asking later (not to speak about a basic level of eductaing themselves), why should a faker try to fool an experinece collector? It is so damn' easy to fool 50-60% - no need to go for 90-95%.

Today every collector has all the tools he might need available. If he doesn't use them, he has to pay the price. It is that easy!

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I had a similar cross that I bought at an auction some said it was original some other said fake I sold it as a fake a few yrs ago I hope it doesn't turn to be a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                Again I am not 100% with the statements. If an experienced collector (say, on the field of the Knights Cross) is fooled, he is no experienced collector.

And I also don't think that the fakers are striving for a high level of perfection. It is not necessary. If you look around in certain fora (MFF comes to mind) it is astonishing how easy people are tricked into loosing their money. As long as people are tricked that easy and have the really stupid habit of buying first and asking later (not to speak about a basic level of eductaing themselves), why should a faker try to fool an experinece collector? It is so damn' easy to fool 50-60% - no need to go for 90-95%.

Today every collector has all the tools he might need available. If he doesn't use them, he has to pay the price. It is that easy!

Dietrich
                Totally agree with you.
                Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Rich G View Post
                  Totally agree with you.
                  Me too

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X