Iron Cross 2nd...wear?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross 2nd...wear?????

Anyone ever think about (WHY) some of these awards are so worn and battered and offered by some dealers as 'war worn'....'been there' etc.???

Probably the best one is......"ground dug"!
    Regards,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I've always wondered about that. An EKII would have "normally" only been worn on a medal bar or when first presented. As far as being worn "in action", I'd like to see some photos.

I've heard the theory they were carried around in pockets, but.... Why??
    Last edited by Jim Baker; 02-28-2005, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I'm also of the theory that some of the state-side EK's ended up being worn by bikers and wannabe bikers. Also ended up in the bottom of a shoebox in the garage/basement.

Comment

I agree Chief. The worn pieces should be those on medal bars, and they are usually the ones in great shape.

Comment

I would venture that at $80.00 a go, your average EK2 is still the most tradeable 'currency' in militaria, and any given piece has probably passed through more hands in the last 60 years than we would care to beleive.

Many of those hands would have lacked the 'gentle touch' we currently employ when handling our medals.

I haven't seen Daves hands, but I'm told they're smoooooth........

Marshall

Comment

"I've heard the theory they were carried around in pockets, but.... Why??"

Why? Because most soldiers were very proud of their EKs. Why wouldn't they want to have them on their persons -- maybe in their pockets or packs -- if they weren't going to be worn?
            (But Coastie has a point, too. Most of what we collect has been through a lot of action in the last 60 years!)
            George

Comment

Hey George,

Glad to see your still around. How are you doing?

I still can't see why these guys would carry their EKII's around, at least not in any great numbers. If it were me, I'd want it safe. The ribbon I think would be enough for ego's.

I also agree that the "passing around" of these medals over the years would contribute significantly to wear.

Comment

Jim, I'm doing great! I was just out camping in the desert for the last nine days!
                Last edited by George Stimson; 03-02-2005, 01:01 AM.
                George

Comment

Oh man, that sounds great. I'm going to take a few days off next week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Glad to see you're back, missed ya!!

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
                    Jim, I'm doing great! I was just out camping in the desert for the last nine days!
                    What???? no internet access there?? What sort of desert is it then!!!???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X