Monte Cassino RK Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monte Cassino RK Group

It is with great pleasure that I present you with a Ritterkreuz grouping awarded during the Battle of Monte Cassino. As many of you may remember some months ago I passed on this group due to my wife's breast cancer. Thanks to the kindness and understanding of the seller and another forum member I was able to get the grouping. First, my thanks to those involved. You helped me attain that which I thought out of reach during a time of personal hardship. I appreciate your kindness.

This is the grouping from Hauptmann Waldemar Mueller who was one of two members of II/Gren.Rgt 211 credited with halting the Allied assault on snake's head ridge, thus ending the first battle of Monte Cassino! Along with the documents came the written notes of Captain Mueller explaining what he did to get the award, AND a video of the award ceremony. He was presented the award by General Raapke in his command post, with the other 211 winner, who was killed the next day. Goebbles then came and had a great award ceremony for all the Cassino RKTs which was taped and is something else to see, I have to tell you.

Hauptmann Mueller at the Goebbles award ceremony:

Mueller was captured by the French on 17 May 1944 and was sent to North Afrika where he lived in prison camp until his release on 28 February 1948. In the 1950s he would become the division organizer for veteran meetings, and I have a 1954 meetingbook with him in it.

EK2: 23 Oktober 1939 (VERY early)
    EK1: 29 June 1940
    IAB: 10 September 1941
    RK: 6 March 1944

His notes go right to the heart of the harrowing battle of Cassino. Had he not been captured I am certain he would have gotten the CCC. But his notes speak to a man who is modest and doing what he could to survive and keep his men alive. He was astounded by the awful destruction of the monestary, the skill of the Kiwis, and the awful losses his unit suffered in many weeks of close combat.

I am humbled with the honor of sharing his legacy today, and keeping it for those generations that follow.

Kind regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Garlasco; 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM.

His RK

800 marked S&L:

Comment

Wow!!

Great grouping Mark!!

Congrats!!

ben

Comment

More:

Comment

Die-flaw, reverse, 3 o'clock arm:

Comment

Incredible group, Marc! Those pieces are part of the history!

Comment

Hi Marc,

we were sure you would like it, ....nice meeting you.
              Pieter.
              SUUM CUIQUE ...
              sigpic

Comment

Marc,
                Congratulations! Simply outstanding....

Chet
                Zinc stinks!

Comment

Very very nice RK!!
                  Nice grouping and nice history! Congratulations!

Comment

Beautiful grouping I'm glad it all worked out for you

Comment

Beautiful grouping! Congratulations on a rare grouping- the documents and the film really set it off.

Comment

Well done and Well deserved Marc....

Congratulations!

Marshall

Comment

Wow what a sweet grouping. A nice piece of history

Comment

Breathtaking!
                            Antti

Comment

Glad you recieved this grouping. It's beautiful. It'll be a very long while before I own something as thrilling as that! Gorgeous.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X