A Deschler Round 3 for the Raid on Dieppe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Deschler Round 3 for the Raid on Dieppe

As many of you know, my favorite collectible is an attributable Iron Cross; a medal or document or both, and attributable to either a specific soldier or battle/action, or both!

I have awards that are related to some of the most famous actions of the war as well as some of the most obscure, and related to all branches of the Wehrmacht or Waffen SS. One battle I always wanted an EK for was the Raid on Dieppe, but never thought I'd get one given how obscure it was relative to so many other actions or campaigns. Earlier this year at the SOS, with the help of Trevor, I was able to finally add a Dieppe related award to my collection. And this one is extra special because it is a posthumous award to Luftwaffe Gefreiter that includes his award document, a letter to his father and his packeted EK.

The EK is very special because it is essentially in near mint condition; never worn, but kept by the family. It is a third pattern Deschler Round 3 (LDO frame) with matching packet. Of interest is that it is a relatively "late" award of an early EK variant, but it makes complete sense given the authority that awarded it. It is reasonable to assume that the Luftgau did not necessarily render too many awards relative to standard combat units or commands; a slow-turning inventory was likely. Please see the article here and please see the pics below.

http://kleinekillpress.com/the-dieppe-raid.html
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Tom

Comment

Very nice set

Regards
          Jarek

Comment

Great set and great story behind..

Comment

Comment

Great set and a unique piece of history thanks for showing Kevin.

Comment

Brian,

Great cross and presentation. Very interesting set all together. It ended up in the right hands, that's for sure.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Congrats,
                    A really interesting and nice set you've aquired!

Comment

What a great catch .

Douglas

Comment

very nice set congrat Brian

Comment

Thank you for all the positive feedback, gentlemen. It is my pleasure to show it!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X