Research Help? LW DKiG Winner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research Help? LW DKiG Winner?

Greetings: Looking for help on Obfw Friedrich 'Fritz' FERN. HE-111 Pilot with 6/II/KG-53 'Legion Condor' awarded Honor Goblet on 20 October 1940. KIA in Russia 7th August 1942. Trying to determine if he received German Cross. Also any other info on him and his combat awards and missions. Any info much appreciated. Thanks......Bob

Hi Bob,

Fritz Fern was part of 3./KG53 for most of his carreer. I don't know when he moved to II./KG53. Could be last quarter 1941 or somewhere 1942.
    When he was KIA, on August, 7th 1942, he was part of 5. Staffel.

Flugzeugführerabzeichen (1935-1937?)
    1938 Medaille mit Spange
    Luftwaffe Dienstauszeichnung 4 Jahre (1939-1941?)
    EKII probably on 01.11.1939 (for Battle of Poland)
    EKI probably July 1940 (for Battle of France)
    Ehrenpokal 20.10.1940 (for Battle of Britain)
    Spange in Silber (01.05.1941)
    Spange in Gold probably July or August 1941
    Verwundetenabzeichen???

He never got the DKiG. Which he would have normally received somewhere first half 1942. So it could be that he got wounded and was away from the front for some time. Returning to a different Staffel and was KIA before he could be rewarded the DKiG.

My guess is you have his Honor Goblet, do you have more information on him? What made you think he was part of 6. Staffel?

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

And maybe as a moderator to move your thread to the: "Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum" I think there your thread is at a better place.

Thomas

Comment

Hello Thomas - Thank you for the info on Obfw Fern. You are correct. His 835 Honor Goblet & Case is on its way to me. Should have it in a day or two. Coming with the pokal are several original letters sent to his wife. No Urkunde. One is dated in June 1940 and suggests he is missing in action in France and may be a POW. It needs accurate translation. Another is the handwritten condolence letter from Hptman Kohler, StaffelFuhrer, 5/II/JG-53 in August 1942 reporting his death in action and the details of his last mission and his burial. Hit by flak during attack on Russian tanks, flew damaged aircraft to friendly lines, ordered bailout, two got out and survived. Lost control, crashed, killing Fritz and two others.
        I think '6' is a typo. Very impressed with your quick response and info. Thank you! Do you have access to the Operational Records for the unit? Best Regards.......Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Sounds really nice and interesting! I wouldn't mind seeing some of it and am willing to assist with the letters and providing information where I can.
          For most war diaries of KG53 it is unknown if they survived. I believe WASt in Freiburg has those that are accounted for. Don't remember which ones, but I believe II./KG53 wasn't among them

Regards, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by bobgee526 View Post
            Hello Thomas - Thank you for the info on Obfw Fern. You are correct. His 835 Honor Goblet & Case is on its way to me. Should have it in a day or two. Coming with the pokal are several original letters sent to his wife. No Urkunde. One is dated in June 1940 and suggests he is missing in action in France and may be a POW. It needs accurate translation. Another is the handwritten condolence letter from Hptman Kohler, StaffelFuhrer, 5/II/JG-53 in August 1942 reporting his death in action and the details of his last mission and his burial. Hit by flak during attack on Russian tanks, flew damaged aircraft to friendly lines, ordered bailout, two got out and survived. Lost control, crashed, killing Fritz and two others.
            I think '6' is a typo. Very impressed with your quick response and info. Thank you! Do you have access to the Operational Records for the unit? Best Regards.......Bob
            Hi Bob

I have a Flugbuch to a DKiG/Pokal recipient who flew as a Flight Engineer with 5./KG53 between 30th April 1941 and 10th August 1942 (I have his documents and cased Pokal - an Alpaka version). He kept good notes and the Flugbuch details missions and bases. I have everything translated into English in Microsoft XL so I can send you a copy for reference if this is of interest. i am going away for a week from today but can catch up when I get back.

Best wishes
            Tim O

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O. View Post
              Hi Bob

I have a Flugbuch to a DKiG/Pokal recipient who flew as a Flight Engineer with 5./KG53 between 30th April 1941 and 10th August 1942 (I have his documents and cased Pokal - an Alpaka version). He kept good notes and the Flugbuch details missions and bases. I have everything translated into English in Microsoft XL so I can send you a copy for reference if this is of interest. i am going away for a week from today but can catch up when I get back.

Best wishes
              Tim O
              Tim - Thank you for the response. I would like to have a copy of that Flugbuch. Fritz Fern went down on 7 August 1942 near Rshew(sp?). Lost with him were Uffz. Widenski RO and Obgef. Heimer GNR. It would be interesting to find out that your man recorded the loss. Have a good trip! Thanks.......Bob

Comment

Hi Bob - there will be no record of that loss but it will show the types of missions being undertaken by the unit at that time. Kiehl's book on KG53 also has information from around this time for II./KG53, which will give context. Please PM me your e-mail address and I will send stuff when I get back from my trip.

Best wishes
                Tim O

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X