Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZINK core EK1s

Dear all,

I recently acquired a three piece construction EK1 with a non magnetic core, which is apparently zinc (not a brass core or copper plated iron core).

The cross is in very good condition, silver plating on the obverse frame intact, frosted on the reverse with a non-frosted, also non magnetic pin.

The catch is a bit crude, made of thick roundwire stock.

Is this type beyond doubt? Do you have zinc (no brass or copper plated ones) core EKs to compare?

Cheers, Frank H.
    Cheers, Frank

reverse
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

hinge detail 1
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

catch detail
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

All I can say is that I have never seen an zinc core EK 1. Did this come from a good source?

Seba

(edit - well, it just goes to show!)
          Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Dear Seba,

No, it just came from "some" source, not a dealer that we all know.

In Detlev´s price guide zinc core EKs are listed, so they should have existed before 1945. I am sure I read that info also elsewhere.

Cheers, Frank H.
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Maybe it's just me but your cross is similar to the one on this thread. At least the back is.
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...5&pagenumber=1
              David Tiffin
              "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Dear David,

You are absolutely right and I discovered this also and contributed to that thread already.

It would be nice to hear from somebody that also has zinc core EK1s to compare with these two examples. Brian and me are surely not the only owners of zinc core EKs, are we?

It would also be great to hear from owners of IRON core or BRASS core EKs that have similar hinge/pin/catch/date/swaz setups.

Btw, these two zinc core crosses do NOT share features with the L15 fakes as somebody mentioned. Merely the hinge is similar, the rest totally different.

Cheers, Frank H.
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Here is a non-magnetic alloy cored EK1 that was worn by the RKT fighter pilot Gunther Hannak. It looks like yours. The brown stuff is dirt, not rust. Non-magnetic alloys were certainly used on the cores of earlier EKs of all grades, up to and including the RK. I have owned an original zinc-cored SL RK, and own now an original zinc-cored Juncker RK. I have seen zinc cored EK2s and even an original EK2 struck entirely from zinc, w/ the core painted.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Luftm40; 09-09-2002, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Frank-

I saw your response to the other thread.

Yes, I do think we have the exact same cross, with the only exception being the catch. The zinc core, frosted beading, frosted reverse and hinge all appear to be exactly the same. Some folks have suggested that the EK's core has been repainted. I have looked closely at the core, especially where it meets the frame, and there is no overlap of paint whatsoever. I can see how folks would think that however, based on the photos I submitted. The cross does look much better in the photo that shows the cross in it's case further down the thread (I have attached that image below). Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, the case that accompanies this cross is absolutely original - it even smells old. As I looked closely at the cross and case I noticed the identation in the lower portion of the case. Th spot where the catch meets the case is exactly the shape of the catch. This really makes me think that the cross is original to the case. I have checked my other Cased EKs and I have noticed this same sort of thing.

In my collection I have two Cased Brass EKs. They really don't seem very similar to the EK in question. They seem to be better made (one is unmarked and the other is an L/58). In fact all of my cased EKs seem to be better made. As far as these zinc crosses go, I would think they must be some sort of late war variety - when production standards and materials were not as good as they once were.

This is a really interesting topic. Perhaps we could get some feedback from Gordon W. or even Detlev (since he mentioned these crosses in his book).

Brian
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Andy:

Thanks very, very much for that post. Same EK and directly from a vet. That is what I was looking for.

@Brian:

I even think that out catches are the same! Where do you see a difference? I assume by looking at Andy´s pics that Andy´s cross also has this thick roundwire catch.

I acquired this cross this weekend and had some doubts left, now I am a happy camper!

Anyway, Gordon´s or Detlev´s input on these would always be highly welcome.

Cheers, Frank H.
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Actually, I think they are probably early pre-LdO pieces. Frank, yes the catch is rounded wire

Comment

Here is a Brass cored EK1 that was also worn by a RKT...bomber pilot
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is another non-magnetic alloy cored EK1 from another grouping of mine...DKiG winner
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X