Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with German Medal identification

Greetings all,

I stumbled on your forum while researching a German medal found with my grandfathers possessions along with other WWII memorabilia after his recent passing. He served in WWII and I believe the medal is a German iron cross. What is throwing me off is the ribbon, not the typical red and black or black and white and it's attached plaque as I can not find examples online. That leads me to believe that it might be a reproduction or something else. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. An image of it is attached below.

Thanks,
    Matthew

https://imageshack.com/i/pmx8gxyZj

Its looks like a cast piece.
    Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Hi Matthew and welcome to the forum.

It's a German Iron Cross 2nd Class from WWII, with the wrong ribbon as you noticed. These are pretty heavily faked items, and the fakes are very good. To authenticate yours we will need better images, such as these.

I think yours has a good chance but it's not really possible to say.

Also, please hold a small magnet to the center of the cross and let us know if it sticks to it.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will post some more pictures and try the magnet test after work today.

Thanks again,
        Matthew

Comment

Looks like the ribbon from a VFW convention, and the box at the top would have his name.

Comment

I've attached a better picture. A magnet did stick to it but I wouldn't doubt if it was a reproduction or movie/play prop. I appreciate the feedback on the ribbon as that had me scratching my head. Perhaps it was worn as a joke by him to a convention.

Thanks again for the help,
            Matthew

https://imageshack.com/i/po5ROXYbj

https://imageshack.com/i/plLodPiyj
            Last edited by Mpn83; 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpn83 View Post
              I've attached a better picture. A magnet did stick to it but I wouldn't doubt if it was a reproduction or movie/play prop. I appreciate the feedback on the ribbon as that had me scratching my head. Perhaps it was worn as a joke by him to a convention.

Thanks again for the help,
              Matthew

https://imageshack.com/i/po5ROXYbj

https://imageshack.com/i/plLodPiyj
              By no means am I an expert. There are two additional things I look for: 1) can you slide a thin piece of paper between the iron core and the silver part of the cross. Also, on the side, can you see any indication that the two pieces of silver have been fused together? Sometimes you can see a faint seam. A number of the ring would help. The ribbing on the cross almost looks rubbed raw if it is real. Hope this helps

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Based on your new photos I am less optimistic. I think it is as Thomas first said a cast copy of an original piece.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I think too - it's copy.

Regards
                  Jarek

Comment

Thanks guys, I think y'all are right as well. The paper test did not work and after looking at more pictures online the ribbing, nice catch on that, seems off. Ah well. As a side note, do y'all have any recommendations for dealers/websites that carry authentic WWII memorabilia? With all the fakes online I'd like to know where to look for authentic pieces. Thanks again for the assistance on the medal

Comment

For what it's worth, the ribbon and brooch is for an American Legion convention medal.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Mpn83 View Post
                        Thanks guys, I think y'all are right as well. The paper test did not work and after looking at more pictures online the ribbing, nice catch on that, seems off. Ah well. As a side note, do y'all have any recommendations for dealers/websites that carry authentic WWII memorabilia? With all the fakes online I'd like to know where to look for authentic pieces. Thanks again for the assistance on the medal
                        Glad to see you are interested in the history. With the limited experience I have, I can only give you pointers. There are some reputable dealers out there. I have found that they are just as passionite about the pieces they sell and you are buying. Buy from dealers who back what they sell. It seems that the gents here are more then happy to look at what you purchase and will let you know if they are authentic. If you bought from a dealer who will return if you are not satisfied...then this form will help greatly....They saved me from a bad PAB about a month ago...It was a fake daisy and the dealer did refund my money. Just learn from what you see. As you handle more and more items...the fakes will become more obvious

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X