X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Brian :
      When one looks at the "Russian Hoard" inventory of Mayer EK1s - they are all later construction -- different parts and finishing .
      There is not one finished like Henrik's cross is - silver plated - polished and lacquer coated .
      If they had a lot of back up stock .... why is there not one such type of cross amongst them ??
      No question that most manufacturers had some back up .... IMO BH Mayer no longer had any of the earlier type left by that time the shipment was captured .
      Assuming in 42 some time ? So by 1944 I cannot see them having any of the early type left over .
      The mid-war type was so much more refined and better looking - those I would keep as backup stock .

Douglas

Comment

Thanks Henrik:
        From these pictures I can say early crimped anchor type . Hard to tell if hand or factory vaulted from that angle .
        A side shot of the anchor like this ?? L 59 used Mayer pins also .

Douglas
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
          Brian :
          When one looks at the "Russian Hoard" inventory of Mayer EK1s - they are all later construction -- different parts and finishing .
          There is not one finished like Henrik's cross is - silver plated - polished and lacquer coated .
          If they had a lot of back up stock .... why is there not one such type of cross amongst them ??
          No question that most manufacturers had some back up .... IMO BH Mayer no longer had any of the earlier type left by that time the shipment was captured .
          Assuming in 42 some time ? So by 1944 I cannot see them having any of the early type left over .
          The mid-war type was so much more refined and better looking - those I would keep as backup stock .

Douglas
          Are you assuming that the manufacturer was directly sending the crosses to the front?

Also, the assumption there was a perfect FIFO regiment for distributing crosses is not reasonable nor is the assumption that various awarding authorities were getting shipments of crosses at the same time. Isn't it reasonable to assume that an Armeekorps could have a stock of crosses that lasts longer than, say, a division that is constantly engaged with the enemy? Could an AK actually award less crosses than a division? Could some divisions go through more inventory than another division and request crosses from OKH on a more regular basis?

I completely agree that we should typically expect later crosses with later award documents. But, to automatically dismiss it is just wrong, in my opinion, and the Russian Hoard example is just too isolated to base this assumption on (especially when the specifics of the find are not truly known).

Brian

Comment

Thanks very much for posting the doc. It's a beauty for sure...by '44, most of them were being awarded as quickly as they could be typewritten, so the calligraphy on this one is an exception.

all the best
            Hank
            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Of course Brian .... I know manufacturers did send orders directly to units headquarters for awarding .

As in post 10 .... only found the combination as not likely - ' ... I could not see them being issued together .' just questioning that combination ...
              ... never dismiss them automatically to be wrong .... it may have helped to a question mark at the end of the sentence .

Yes .... it is reasonable to assume that at some locations awards were awarded much faster and in greater numbers .

As to Notification Feld & Spaten in 1934 manufacturers could not keep up with demand and the Gablonz Method to increase production was implemented .
              With such high demand I could not see any backup stock any where being very large ?

So - I agree - there is then a chance an early made award can be issued much later . How much back up stock was any where is not known ?
              So this could lead to any collector to add or switch out almost any EK award to almost any EK document and in theory it possible and legit ??
              How would any one ever know or prove otherwise ??

Douglas

Comment

Here is my Mayer to compare with

Andy
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Your cross has a lovely character!

Comment

Abgeschlossen meine traum!

a very nice "unmarked" B.H MAYER EK I!, Thx for showing Selinsky!

Best regards
                              S.W.

Comment

Nice Mayer Andy .
                                Is your pin 'foot/spike' solid or a pressed together fold ? As you can see on mine above it is an open loop .
                                Your anchor crimp starts and ends in the bottom which is the best scenario and strongest ...
                                .... even on mine the start and finish end up on the bottom side which is not bad either - end are soldered together .
                                Gradual improvements before they changed over to solid anchors .

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X