EK 1 found hidden in a wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK 1 found hidden in a wall

This EK 1 was found hidden in a wall of an old house. Would you treat it or leave it. Until now i left it in the condition found and stored it in a dry place. Opinions are welcome. skalp
    Attached Files

Interesting cross. Zimmermann / Godet core. Seems like the first (early) frame although it's a bit hard to say from the photos.

Personally I would think about gently dabbing a tiny bit of gun oil onto the rust spots and brushing it on the core. Then let it air-dry. But this is a controversial solution because you could lose some of the paint that's flaking off. It's hard to judge from the photos just how fragile the paint is.

If you don't treat it, on the other hand, the rust will slowly undermine the remaining paint and in the long term you'll probably lose it anyway.

Can you please show a reverse of the cross? And perhaps a good, straight-on photo of the front?
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I'm for stabilizing it to prevent further damage. Lets see the back.

Comment

As it is dark here i can only make pics with flash. Tomorrow i can post some pics made in natural light. skalp
        Attached Files

Comment

pics

pics from the backside
          Attached Files

Comment

I know of a method of sealing the painted core, but not sure if it's suitable in this case. Where you find paint which is flaking some collectors use model makers clear varnish (it's a bit like clear nail varnish) applied to the paintwork and left to dry leaving a clear but hard protective coat. It will however make the finish appear a little darker once it's dry.

Comment

I like it ! further damage can be prevented I hope !!!! Tom

Comment

I would treat it to preserve the cross. The flaking paint will come off at some point in any case. You don't want to lose the lot

Comment

Forgot to mention that it is one of my favorite makers of the EK1 !

Comment

This is actually a rare cross: early frame Zimmermann with LDO mark.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far.Here comes the pics taken without flash. Frame and backside are in pretty good condition only the core was affected. skalp
                      Attached Files

Comment

The flaking paint is coming of anyway, the might be a way to prevent future damage: Ocalic acid, it doesnt hurt the remaining paint but it might contain the rust to further develop. I remember a couple friends using it on Ground dug camo helmets with great result, I dont know if its to agressive on medals ?

Comment

this i s a rare and not common piece Early type Godet cross with L/52 mm Zimmerman
                          as said Trevor

(if it was found so original , so it is, so it nice )
                          this is my opinion

here is my piece
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X