The BEST reproduction KC manufacturer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzerman,

I understand about taking away from the other pieces, my collections are for my own enjoyment. I collect Airline wings as well and some of those are going out of sight. I have a few that are "fillers" and I am quite sure some knockoffs that I THINK are real. I personaly am just happy being able to look at my collections. The real KCs are for me, reasonably, unobtainable.

I am 35 yrs old and am getting close to being able to retire from the USAF after 20yrs of faithful service. You are right circumstances can change, but I am a realist. Unless I win the lotto, a large windfall is not in my future. You are right again that it all depends on what you want in the end.

A harley huh? Got any scatchoff tickets?

Originally posted by Panzerman
    Brien,

If you want it for filler, go ahead. YOU have to be happy with your collection. It's yours. I had a fake, a good Souval, and I got rid of it. But that's just me. It seemed whenever someone asked about the RK, and I told them it was a fake, it just took the wind out of my sails. It was as if it "took away" from all the good pieces in the collection.

If I may ask, how old are you?? Your life situation can change drastically in a short period of time. You never know what the future holds. My brother just bought a new Harley. Cool. I can buy two RK's for what he paid for that bike. It's just deciding what you want.

Comment

For display purposes, I'm generally opposed to "filler" uses of reproductions. However, I'm a firm believer that there should always be good quality reproductions, but that it's the ethical responsibility of the manufacturer to clearly mark them as such. I've never reenacted WW2 German (as attracted as I am to the militaria of the period, I can't bring myself to actually wear it), but if I were to do so, I know that I'd be seeking out those repros that could reasonably expected to fool someone not staring at it with a loupe.

My two cents...

--Chris

Comment

Brien,I don't know what to say. For guys in our situation (I'm a civil servant), the RK is definitely going to be a "loan" situation if we ever want one. Like you, I don't think I'll see that kind of fun money in a liquid form. If I buy an RK, I'm sure it will be through a loan. But I also look at it as an investment. I will get my money back, and hopefully make a few bucks, when the enjoyment of having it in my collection passes. I would love to have a grandson whose sweet mind I can corrupt and leave it to him. I just about have my wife convinced of the investment thought. So, my brother takes out a loan for a new Harley, I take one out for an RK. We don't need either one, but we will both recover our investment in the end and will have enjoyed our toys. And the nice thing about an RK is that if you need to move it, and you have bought wisely, you will sell it faster than a Harley!!

Comment

I like your logic Jim...Hmmmmm Harley....RK......Harley......RK

Comment

Getting the RK

Remember, it will never be any cheaper than it is right now. Sell some common items and pool the money. Borrow if you have to because the rate of return will be better than anything you can put your money in now financially. I have went to the bank and borrowed on my savings and cars to buy Nazi items and it has ALWAYS paid big returns plus the pleasure I have had in obtaining and holding the items of my dreams. Remember, you can always get more money, but you may not be able to obtain that Nazi item you have searched for again with the same guarantee or source.
            Ron Weinand
            Weinand Militaria
            PS: I haven't had an extra RK in over seven years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand
              Remember, it will never be any cheaper than it is right now. Sell some common items and pool the money. Borrow if you have to because the rate of return will be better than anything you can put your money in now financially. I have went to the bank and borrowed on my savings and cars to buy Nazi items and it has ALWAYS paid big returns plus the pleasure I have had in obtaining and holding the items of my dreams. Remember, you can always get more money, but you may not be able to obtain that Nazi item you have searched for again with the same guarantee or source.
              Ron Weinand
              Weinand Militaria
              PS: I haven't had an extra RK in over seven years.
              I am speaking from Experiance on this thread.My wages are only that of a Manager and I have 2 kids and a house to pay for.But you can afford those Nazi items,for sure. Do what I do,every drop of overtime that occurs,take it,but try to balance aswell with your homelife[I never do overtime over the wife and kids].Also as mentioned sell some 'smaller' items. As I have been collecting for 20 years although only had the money to do so seriously for the past 10 I had gathered a lot of pieces in the $20-$300 bracket.If you sell those pieces out but retain the few that you really can't part with[like first buys and gifts] you will be surprised with what you get back.I done that and so could afford my cased Knights Cross [from an excellent E-stand deal] and my cased DKIG [Again from an excellent E-stand deal].Only trouble is one is never enough and now I am saving for another !! I find myself continually looking around my collection for pieces I have 'outgrown' so that I can harvest the $ for new purchases. Trouble is you always need some $ spare because when Detlev's Friday comes you always have to be ready
              If you are starting out from scratch then don't expect to be able to buy Knights cross ,it has never been a cheap order for the beginner and so it never will be,and if it is beware .All the prices we see now are relative ,20 years ago I could never dream of one ,so start the way most of us do with Hitler Youth ,armbands,Frozen meat medal,tinnies,etc etc and work your way through to an EK11 then an EK1 . Along the way meet people,talk on the forums,visit shows,read books,ENJOY YOURSELF ,then when the time comes you have a good collection worth more than you paid and you can decide if you want to sell some pieces to buy a bigger piece.

Comment

I know most collectors are purists, but its a legitimate question, where can I get a nice copy of an RK? Not a crummy one piece casting. I'd like one too, don't need a real one to hang on a uniform or put with my 1/32 scale Bf109, and I don't need a sermon about saving money....OK maybe I do need a sermon about saving money

Comment

Originally posted by CollectRussia
                  I know most collectors are purists, but its a legitimate question, where can I get a nice copy of an RK? Not a crummy one piece casting. I'd like one too, don't need a real one to hang on a uniform or put with my 1/32 scale Bf109, and I don't need a sermon about saving money....OK maybe I do need a sermon about saving money
                  Try here:
                  http://www.thirdreich.ca/museumcopies.php

Cheers.
                  Peter

Comment

Hi folks,

I just want you all to know that I sincerely appreciate all the good conversation that has arisen from this question. It is very good to know that I am not the only one who is the situation I am. I am very happy that I found the forum and that all of you are willing to devote even a moment of your time to helping someone else.

I only wish that my circumstances were a bit better, so that I might enjoy the fruits and spoils of this hobby more. Ces la vie. Just wanted to let you know that I am not ungrateful for your time and experience.

I will have to consider getting a loan for a real KC. O.K. We'll see what the future holds. If thomas Russ is out there, can you send me a PM? I can afford a HQ 1957 model, but it I would prefer it to be the best I can find is I shell out several hundred dollars (and not let the wife find out!)

You folks are great. I will honestly say though that I am extremely jealous and envious of a lot of you. Not to say you all aren't good folk. All of you seem to be the better type person and I am glad to meet all of you.

Brien

Originally posted by Peter Wiking

Comment

Brien,

One other suggestion for you, if you can find a field converted EK2 then that is the cheapest option for an example of a "KC".
                      If you can't find one then make one (God forbid...!!!)
                      Get an original EK2 with a non-soldered loop and carefully remove it, add a jump loop and a KC loop and a piece of original KC ribbon and there is your perfect "original" KC for display. When you decide to sell it, replace the loop on the EK2 and sell all the pieces as they are all original and you will not lose money. Doing it this way doesn't damage original pieces and it doesn't support the fakers by buying their repro pieces.
                      It may be another option for you

Regards,
                      Brett

Comment

Hi Brien,

I am in the same boat as you, with a slight difference in that I could find the cash to buy a real KC, but realistically even though it might be a good investment there are too many other things for a married man with kids to spend his money on when he doesn't have oodles of cash.

I have noted that many museums dont go out and buy the real thing when it comes to collections, they use repros as fillers and this is exactly what I have done. If museums wanted to own the real thing then private collectors would be in trouble after the intial boom time sale of the items they own. If you went by some of the advice you get here you would not be happy owning anything unless it was the real thing. Lets face it, there isn't enough of the real thing to go around so why sell all the nice little genuine things you can afford to buy and enjoy just so you can have a collection that consists of one expensive item.

Your purchase of a repro item is not going to help the fakers anymore than your not buying it will stop them. Go out and get your repro KC because if you cant afford the real thing a decent facsimile is the next best thing.

Good luck.

Regards

Steve

Comment

The best choice for poor collector

Sorry for I'm cheap first,
                          I think the postwar souval is the best choice for every poor collectors,I bought this souval piece from E-stand(case not include) in very fair price, Have to thank this gentlaman who sold this to me, I like it very much,

Just show on here & let raw collectors know what PW souval looks likeD

sorry for my daXn camera and my poor skills,

Regards.

Comment

How easy is it to find a souval nowadays though? I have been trying to get hold of one for some time with no success.

Comment

I would also like to have a Souval RK in my collection, until the day I can afford the real Deal, wich will not be for the next couple of years.

I have a house, a one year old daughter, a dog, and the wife, has now started talking about kid number two

So for the next five years, or so, I will not be able to buy thinks like a (real) RK. So as space filler, I could settle for a Souval, and be happy with that

Just my opinion

Best regards, and have a nice Sunday

Flemming Simonsen

PS If any one know where to pick up a Souval Rk like that above, please let me/us know

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X