EK1 Spange Reverse

Reverse Photo,
    Attached Files
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Good Evening,

I have to ask this question and please don't get offended by it;

Is it really a scalloped spange or did somebody file on the date bar to make it appear scalloped? It appears to be the standard issue type spange with flat pin, but the style of spange seems more like a standard issue and not an earlier one that would have scalloped edges IMO.

It may be me, but the curves (scallopes) do not seem even.

Is there any maker mark and are there any file marks evident on the ends?
      Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, not offended by any question, always willing to learn. I don't actually have the piece so can not confirm the filling. I was sent these pictures after expressing an interest.

Looking at the back photo the the scallop appears a bit angular also looking at the front the inner line of the edge appears straight. I think you are probably right in your assumptions.

Regards
        Rob.
        Regards, Rob
        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

EK 1 Spagne Scallop

Sorry to say but this is not the type of spagne which is found in the scalloped form.
          Somebody has been very inventive!
          Pieter
          SUUM CUIQUE ...
          sigpic

Comment

Bar to the Iron Cross 1st Class 1939 1st form, bar with "scalloped" ends

Hello,

Below 3 photos of original Bar to the Iron Cross 1st Class 1939
            1st form, bar with "scalloped" ends, so everyone to compare.

Hope it helps!

Happy collecting!

Philippe
            www.majorplm.com

Comment

EK 1 spagne

Hello Philippe,

Very nice pieces indeed, and original. The fist one you show is the earliest one ,given afther the Polish campain. This one you are showing normally should be in a plain black box with no immage of the spagne on the outside of the lid. The one that should be in the box you show is one like your second picture...but with a pin of course.
              Thank you for showing these exceptional spanges.

Pieter.
              SUUM CUIQUE ...
              sigpic

Comment

Pieter makes a very good point. There are two very distinct forms of the First pattern. The original had a deeper, very well sculpted chest and is very well made. The second type has a flatter, more scrawny appearance. I have only ever seen pinbacks of the first type, but both pin and screwbacks of the second.

Even within the first type there are variants. Here are two first type first pattern, both identical die characteristics on the obverse, without doubt from the same manufacturer, with absolute identical tooling.

The reverse faces are totally different however, one with smooth and one with rough surface finish and totally different pins.

Here is the other first type as posted by Philippe, but with pin fitting similar to that found on some Schinkel type Iron Crosses

Comment

While we are at it, here are first and second type First Patterns of the Second Class

Note the eary type has the single bar soldered across the face with the ends bent up to form prongs, which is often erreneously taken as an indication of a fake.

Comment

My contributions

Two second classes....

.... and a first class.

George
                    George

Comment

hi all

what is the deal with some having a flat head eagle while some have a round headed eagle? are these die charect. or makers charctoristics? thanks rodney

Comment

Here It Is Again! Buyer Beware!

Bumped this to the top to follow the thread that Heergeeser posted showing same or similar spange.
                        Tim

Comment

Spange opinion

Hi Gordon, thanks again for showing the difference in the First issue EK 1 spange. I must say your new book helped me in a recent buy concerning a First issue spange, all one has to due is turn to page 164 and all the pictures are there.
                          I must also say that owning a First issue with the thick chest is a great addition to one's collection. The strike is truly beautiful.
                          I placed it next to my L/11 and there is no comparison. Sonny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X