RK Ribbons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Ribbons

There has been much written in previous threads about 'weave' and 'border' for these, but I have been trying to get to grips with the often mentioned 'Heavy' and 'Light' ribbons for the RK. I do not know whether this referrs to the feel/stiffness of the ribbon material, or the actual thickness of it. So, I have taken all the original, folded/unworn ribbons I have that are 45mm in width, measured the lengths of them, and weighed them on a digital scales. I then calculated the length of ribbon which corresponds to 1g weight. For 5 ribbons, the range of lengths for 1g was 53.4mm - 58.4mm, but for 1 ribbon 1g gave 75mm. Anyone else out there prepared to do a little experiment and compare?

Hello Harry...of the 'heavy' full length ribbons I have all came in at 12 grams +/- .5 gram at an average of 73cm in length.

I don't have a full length 'light' ribbon to compare. However, just to possibly clarify; the 'heavy' ribbon generally is the cotton feeling type while the 'light' is the more silky.
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
      Hello Harry...of the 'heavy' full length ribbons I have all came in at 12 grams +/- .5 gram at an average of 73cm in length.

I don't have a full length 'light' ribbon to compare. However, just to possibly clarify; the 'heavy' ribbon generally is the cotton feeling type while the 'light' is the more silky.
      Thanks Dave,
      73cm at 12.5g would equate to 58.4mm. Only a couple of my folded ribbons are the full 73cm, so I had to break it down to mm per g. Anyone else prepared to measure and weigh??

Comment

I've got one at approximately 30 inches that weighs 13.4 g.
        George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
          I've got one at approximately 30 inches that weighs 13.4 g.
          Thats great George.
          It is difficult to measure these things as it depends on how much you stretch them. But that equates to approx 57mm per g.

Comment

Yes, mine would undoubtedly be longer if I stretched it!
            George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
              Yes, mine would undoubtedly be longer if I stretched it!
              Steady George!

I notice that '57er RK ribbons of almost the same width (46~47mm) come in a lot lighter giving 65-66mm per g

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X