X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDO Question

LDO Question
    Greetings,

I have a Spange that I understand is a LDO replacement. What is LDO? It doesn’t seem to be a single maker (Deumer, in this case). Of course I wonder about the relative rarity and or value of a LDO piece verses whatever it means to be non-LDO.
    Any enlightening would be appreciated?
    Thank you,
    Chris
    Aka Egret

Please,

do a search and get some of your $ 25.- investment in knowledge back!

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

There are many cases that are LDO.

I would like to know more about LDO too but in search I find lots of item with
      an LDO case and not "what is LDO".

Best regards,

Ran

Comment

LDO stands for Leistungsgemeinshaft Deutcher Ordenshersteller (hope I got the spelling right) and was a body that regulated and /or oversaw the quality of medals sold by private firms. The awards came with a warranty card. Awards were marked L/xx.

On the other hand, awards given out officially by the military (i.e.not sold commercially) came under the Prasidialkanzlei des Fuhrers and had a different type of code number known as the Liferant number.

I hope thsi is of use. I am sure other members will have other details to add.

Comment

Like Terry .. if I take the time to reply ... I at least offer something of VALUE ...

Here's a little tid bit I dug up FYI also:

Faced with a need to standardize and regulate award and decoration production and issue, the German government in 1941 established the Leistungsgemeinschaft deutschen Ordenhersteller: the Administration of German Orders Manufacturers or LDO. The LDO published and enforced regulations controlling the production of most military awards, including materials used, dimensions, manufacturing techniques, and finishes used. The LDO was very successful in eliminating great variation in award construction and appearance, so that most items today that show some variation (like a vaulted Iron Cross First Class) date from before its establishment. In addition to regulating items for official award, the LDO also banned purchase of awards from non-licensed manufacturers. Military members were permitted to purchase duplicate or replacement awards from government authorized firms. These followed the same high standards as awards intended for official issue, but could be marked differently. Each firm licensed by the LDO was assigned a number to be used when marking its awards and decorations. Collectors sometimes refer to this number as the "L/ number" because one type of licensing number was prefixed with L/. Some firms had an L/ number and a different number with no prefix, referred to as the Präsidialkanzlei des Führers Lieferant (Führer Chancellery Supplier) number. While not certain, it has been suggested that the Präsidialkanzlei number was meant for official awards, while the L/ number was for private purchase items. The marking portion of the LDO regulation was not rigidly enforced, and many quite legitimate original awards have no maker's mark at all.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/reserach_tools/ldo.htm

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thank you all for the help.
                I to, had searched on LDO+definition, LDO+what, LDO+ explination etc. and either gotten no hits or 20+pages about LDO this and that. Ade’s link back to research tools answered every question. Apparently the search engine does’t look past the forms, nor should it.
                The 400+ “pages of this project” are a powerful resouce, especially beneficent as this aspect of our organization does not require from the user a “$ 25 investment in knowledge”.
                Thank you again,
                Chris
                Aka Egret

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X