Order authorising army group commanders to award the RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order authorising army group commanders to award the RK

I thought some of you might appreciate this. I was ploughing through more documents from the IIa of 20 Gebirgs Armee today and came across this litte gem.

It's in two parts and concerns the authorizing given to army group commanders and commanders of independent armies to firstly promote officers, but more interestingly to us collectors to grant the award of the higher decorations that previously had to be approved by OKH and\or Hitler

The first part of the story is this signal sent by Burgdorf, chief of the Heerespersonalamt, on 22nd April 45 and specifically states that Hitler gives army group commanders and independent army commanders these powers. On the second page it allows the awarding of the DKiG and EBS. Not, interestingly enough the DKiS. It also states that commanders could also delegate those powers to commanders of 'fortresses' if conditions warranted it.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

That signal was followed up by another, again sent by Burgdorf, at 2030Hrs on the 4th May '45 giving further powers of promotion and also the awarding of the RK.

I know these devolved powers for awarding the RK are well known, but its still pretty interesting to see the actual signal sent out.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

These are really very interesting documents. Could you please provide a translation for paragraph 3 of the second document (specifically the word 'NACHGEORDN'). Thanks!

Comment

Despite the authority for some supreme commanders of the "Nordraum" and "Südraum" from 28. April 1945 onwards (and revoked on 7. May by Keitel) to award the Knights Cross with the stipulation of a later signature approval by the Führer, the two telegrams above do not mention any procedures or authorities given to award the Knights Cross.
        Hitler was still alive on the 22. April. Scherzer explains the second telegram and the background/context in his book (Ritterkreuzträger 1939-1945) in detail on pages 38-52. It was a very confusing time ....

However, always good to see original documents! Thanks Simon!

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
          These are really very interesting documents. Could you please provide a translation for paragraph 3 of the second document (specifically the word 'NACHGEORDN'). Thanks!

Actually para 3. is just the first line 'Awarding powers for the Knightscross', the lines under are seperate and refer to the other paragraphs as well.

the tape is folded over on the 'nachgeordnet' word, so the sentence says
          'The aformentioned powers can not be delegated (or passed on) to subordinate commanders'

In Norway these new powers weren't used as far as the RK is concerned, but the orders were the basis for the large number of officer promotions granted by 20 Geb.Armee after the surrender. The last Heer RK to be awarded on Norway was to the chief of staff of the army there Gen.Lt. Hermann Hölter on the 3rd May and i must say i'm sure his position and access to the necessary means of communication with OKH played a part, i wonder if it's a coincidence that his official date of award just happens to have been the day before this order was received?

I know that several RK were awarded after this order went out to members of the LW (1) and KM (2) but i don't know if the same order applied to those branches?

Comment

Simon,

Hölter is listed in Scherzer's book as questionalbe (i.e. not awarded). The main reasons are that from 10. March 1945 onwards awards of the RK were not allowed anymore as per Hitler to services of troop leanding, but only for deeds of bravery. There was no fighting in Norway at that point in time. The other reason given is the date, i.e. the same date the permission for such awards was given (3. May 1945 for the Nordraum). There are no details in the archives, too. Scherzer considers this award a "Fellgiebel award" which was, interestingly enough, twice (in 1976 and 1982) denied and finally published as "awarded in his 1986 book. Of course, the Ordenskommission der Ritterkreuztraeger under Fellgiebel had never in any way any legal authority to "award" a Knights Cross.

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

I have always wondered about Robert Mark Krieger. Many years ago he gave me his photo in heer panzerjacke wearing DKIG, silver PAB, EK1, and close combat clasp in gold. He wrote a short biography of his war years and said he was approved for the RK in Dec 1944 during the battle of the Ardennes. He never received the award and, after the war, was denied the award by the OdR, who went over existing recommendations.

Is there anywhere I can research a heer panzer NCO to see if his story rings true? I knew the man and he was not one to boast and was rather humble about the war.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                there is no Robert Mark Krieger listed in Scherzers book, neither as an actual awardee nor as a "Fellgiebel" award. I would think that this is the final word on the topic.
                This would not be the first case of somebody making up an anticipated Knights Cross. Maybe he was proposed but not approved. As you know about 42% of all proposals were rejected and never even made it to Hitler (who also rejected quite a few).

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Thanks, Simon, for posting. Very helpful!

I wonder what (if anything at all) these may suggest about RK's being held by certain commands for award purposes late in the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                    Simon,

Hölter is listed in Scherzer's book as questionalbe (i.e. not awarded). The main reasons are that from 10. March 1945 onwards awards of the RK were not allowed anymore as per Hitler to services of troop leanding, but only for deeds of bravery. There was no fighting in Norway at that point in time. The other reason given is the date, i.e. the same date the permission for such awards was given (3. May 1945 for the Nordraum). There are no details in the archives, too. Scherzer considers this award a "Fellgiebel award" which was, interestingly enough, twice (in 1976 and 1982) denied and finally published as "awarded in his 1986 book. Of course, the Ordenskommission der Ritterkreuztraeger under Fellgiebel had never in any way any legal authority to "award" a Knights Cross.

Dietrich
                    I'm with Scherzer on that. The last RK's given for the operations in Finland and North Norway in Oct.44 were awarded in mid january 45

Rendulics swords, Jodl and Rübel being the last.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X