Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a S&L ek2 feature?

Hi

the following cross has been identified as being made by S&L. When i compare it to other S&L examples I see the same frame and core but I don't see this feature were there is a recess in the frame for the eyelet to sit in.

Is this really S&L?

Thanks for looking.
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Hí Rich S&L was 3 type frame and 5 or 6 core type

Comment

S&L had more than 3 frames ... I see what you mean ... the recess reminds me of a Deschler -- have to too take a closer look .

Douglas

Comment

Hi Rich,

Im my opinion "S&L" is a catchall term. I guesstimate that less than 50% of EK2s so identified on this forum are actually made by S&L, even if S&L supplied dies or components. Another way of saying the same thing is "Standard Design."
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Guys, thanks for the replies. I guess that is what I was looking towards...S&L tooling but perhaps assembled by another firm. The recess made me think if Deschler too but maybe there are other makers that had this feature.
          Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Rich : Unmarked S&L are at times tricky as Trevor says and associated as a S&L summited product and or
            --- possibly as may as 60 companies could have been using the 'standard' design and submitting at first unmarked crosses ... so who really made which unmarked one ?
            ... a question after looking at it more closely .

Douglas
            Attached Files

Comment

Douglas, Will get you better pics in a few days. Appreciate your help with this and everyone else as well.
              Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by sanya13 View Post
                Hí Rich S&L was 3 type frame and 5 or 6 core type
                Sorry, but for me it's impossible. In any case, IMO that they are not all crosses of S&L, and as Trevor said, are the crosses of other manufacturers EK2 (so-called "S&L design") using a die of the obverse of the cross S&L ...

Regards
                Jarek

Comment

I appreciate it will be impossible to identify the maker but just to finish off this thread here is the cross front and back.

Rich

Decorations of Germany

Comment

Thanks Rich , been away a few days .
                    The last 2 picture clearly show the same die for the front and reverse .
                    With out a PKZ marked same cross to compare with - right now a maker can not be determined .
                    An early made cross with parts supplied by S&L - possible closed shop before the PKZ marking became mandatory ?

Douglas
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just for a comparison ... your same frame used on this - mixed frame - cross - a slanted and not slanted bead die ... might belong to Sanya ... did not mark it .
                      Now I do not have the cross and just going by the picture that one may also have a cut ring hole filled with solder ??
                      That frame punched hole could have been a special request by that still unknown producer .

Douglas
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X