Afrikakorps field made EKI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afrikakorps field made EKI

Some of you are aware of my interest in field made medals & badges but only if they have rock solid provenance. This is one I shared Some time ago that was taken from an Afrikakorps soldier by a South African British volunteer: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...field+made+IAB

Now I (will) have another. This EKI just came out of a GI's footlocker today. A fellow antiques dealer friend of mine just left a house call he made at an elderly woman's place. This woman just sold him her uncle's footlocker. While looking through his items my friend pulled this out and told the woman "this is fake". In response the woman said "I knew you were going to say that" and further explained that whenever her Uncle would share his souvenirs with other's that others would question it's authenticity as well but he would always swear up and down that it was real because he took it off the POW himself. The soldier in question served in North Africa and was badly wounded a bit later in the early fighting for Italy, being shippe back to the US given the severity of his wounds. Given the supply shortages the DAK suffered during the campaign this totally makes sense. My friend says it's made from zinc (and it appears to be given the zinc pest) and had a safety type pin inserted into it while still molten.

I'll share more pictures of it next week when I have it in hand.

Chuck
    Attached Files

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. -Ger

Comment

Looks believeable to me.

Comment

Here are some new photos. What I thought originally was zinc pest is actually a rough texture (probably from being sand cast) to the "core". In my opinion the paint is "bone black" & of the period.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pin assembly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X