• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and the back
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

It doesn't match any originals (or repros) that I have, or have seen, either.
      If you have a doubt about it, don't get it. These pieces are regularly available from reputable dealers. I'd advise you to pass on a questionable piece and get one from a good dealer who offers a guarantee.

George
      George

Comment

While I appreciate George's response, I'd appreciate a few others to chime in too...

As I said I have no experince whatsoever on the EK2 spange so I really need your help.

Now, can anyone say for sure if this one is good or bad, because if it's bad lets get it highlighted and catalogued for future reference. Similarly, if its a good one I want to buy it...

Anyone what to start?

Rich
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Dear Rich,

I cannot offer a definite opinion based on another example of exactly this spange. I also know no fake nor an original with exactly the same features.
          My gut feeling is that I do not care for it too much. The things that make me suspicious is the reverse, I just do not like the differences in finish there (lurking around the edge from the obverse), a bit too much pitted for my taste as well. I also do not like the date 1939, everything is fat, normally at least the lower end of the 3 is more filigrane.

Apart from that, it has nothing that I personally look for in a spange, which has nothing to do with it being authentic though, I admit. Just personal taste:

-I prefer the stricter outline of the wings that George shows a nice example of. Don´t care too much for the rounded off feather ends and curves in the wings´ outlines on the shown example.

-I prefer more domed, 3D details on the feathers (breast and little wing feathers). The ones of your type shown are almost flat on top, more like "steps" on a staircase.

I share George´s opinion - you could get a much nicer and doubtless example easily.

Cheers, Frank H.
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Dear Frank

Thank for your views and opinions on the spange. I'ml still not clear on it though as to if it's bad or not (even if I'm not going to buy it now). I'd would really mean a lot if Gordon would give his opinion as well....

Gordon..?

Rich
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

I'd have to agree with Frank and George. Whilst there is nothing specific that cries out "this is wrong because.....", its not one I would choose.
              Its as much a matter of aesthetics as anything else. There was quite a bit of variation in the exact configuration/shape of the numerals on different makers pieces and between different manufacturers you will find a range of minor detail differences. Just check back on the 1st pattern Spange photos that were recently posted for a perfect example of this.

I don't see anything specifically wrong with this one, but would chose one of the "textbook" classic pieces if I was looking for just one Spange as opposed to collecting variants.

Gordon

Comment

Very much appreciated Gordon.

Thanks to one and all for your thoughts. This is what makes this association so powerful and I, for one, am proud to be a member!

Regards

Rich
                Decorations of Germany

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X