Opinions on this S&L EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this S&L EK2

I brought this Cross about two months ago thinking it was an unmarked Ek2, however, I have now found it has a Makers Mark on the ring. Sorry about the scans cheap scanner I'm afraid
    Attached Files

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Mark
      Attached Files

Comment

mark

Is the "4" really reversed?

Oh, I see. The number is marked in line with the ring, not perpendicular to it. Mine is like that.

Never mind!

George
        Last edited by George Stimson; 08-29-2002, 07:57 AM.
        George

Comment

Hello Bill

This piece looks suspicious to me, for a number of reasons, the overall piece looks quite new, as does the ribbon. Unfortunately S&L dies survived the war and were used to pump out pieces ever since. On the reverse it looks like the ring doesn’t actually go though the frame. Is this so? This circular mark on the top of the frame reminds me of late 1957 pieces where one die set was used for both First Class and Second Class EK’s. Also the core looks odd to me, however I am not quite sure how to describe what is wrong with it. Hopefully others, more knowledgeable will jump in and help.

Regards

Dez

Comment

George,

I've rotated the picture
            Attached Files

Comment

Okay

Bill,

Yes, I see.
              But I would be troubled by the ring location indicator mark on the center of the top frame too.

George
              George

Comment

G'day George,

Is your's marked in the same manner as mine? I brought this Cross form a member of this forum, I'm happy with it but if others can point out areas of concern I would certainly appreciate their input.

Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

Bill does your EK actually have that grainy affect to the core or is that just your scanner?

Regards

Dez

Comment

Bill,

Yes, it was by looking at mine that I realized my mistaken perspective. (It's still kind of early here! I haven't had my first cup of coffee!)
                    My mark is on the obverse side of the cross, although I don't know if that really makes a difference.

George
                    George

Comment

G'day Dez

Ya, cold down there in tassy
                      It is the scanner just a cheap Hp 2200c

here is ,hopefully, a better picture
                      Attached Files

Comment

stogieman weighs in!

I'm the seller of this cross. It was purchased from Detlev Niemann in Hamburg, it's not a post-war strike, the ribbon is mint original and not UV re-active. Detlev sold it on his update as such and I have resold it to Bill. If you guys don't like it, send it back. I have no problems with the cross, it's ribbon, packet, or anything else about it.

Comment

Maybe we should reach a determination as to whether a ring location indicator mark on the rim in the center of the top arm of an EK means that it's a postwar piece.
                          Can we?

George
                          George

Comment

Its a perfectly good original cross. Postwar S&L EK2s pieces were never this good.
                            The reason the location mark appears on some of the 1957 pieces is that they used the wartime tooling to strike these. Such locator marks are common on many wartime pieces, the FO U-Boat badge being a prime example.
                            I wouldn't have any problems whatsoever with this piece.

Gordon

Comment

Thank you, Gordon. I have learned something today!

George
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X