Knight's cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's cross

Enclosed are some pictures of what I think is a post war knight’s cross by S&L. The cross has IMHO a B-frame with dent row flaw and bridge/knee flaw. I can, however, not see any beading flaws. The core is unmagnetic and the frame appears to be silver plated. Both the core and the frame seems to be made of a yellowish material, perhaps brass (the yellowish material is visible on certain places were the silver plating on the frame or the paint on the core has worn off).

The ring also shows some kind of “punch flaw” on both sides, but this is difficult to picture (I have tried)! The soldering of the cross is very good, but some parts of the front frame seem a bit “squeezed”. It almost looks like something went wrong when the frame was made! All together the cross seems a bit unfinished.

Am I right? Is it possible to say more exact when this cross was produced after the war?

All comments/corrections are very much appreciated!
    Attached Files

Knight's cross

More pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Knight's cross

Some more pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Knight's cross

Here are some more pictures!
        Attached Files

Comment

Knight's cross

Last picture!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dwight,

yes, you are right. Clearly post-war!

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I have never seen an S&L frame assembled in this squeezed and "domed" way by the factory. Very odd indeed.

Comment

Looking at the cross i also had a bad feeling but what i could see that an attempt was made to make a die flaw in the 9 and 12 o'clock arm. Thats worries me. Is this a new fake with the well known die flaw or is it someting else?

Greetz,
                Blitz

Comment

Knight's cross

Thanks for all comments! The cross was bought over 10 years ago, so it is not a "new fake". But it is indeed a strange post war cross.

Comment

Thanks for posting this one. It just doesn't seem to "add up" does it. It may simply been assembled by an inexperienced hand or have been given a swaz core because it didn't quire measure up to the required standard. A very interesting cross.

Comment

About 15 years ago a guy was going from dealer to dealer at the SOS trying to convince them into buying this type cross. All who "Know" RK's laughed at it after taking a short inspection look. IMO it could be a S&L made post war cross, but not one that would be jumped at. However it's still better than a Souval ! Tom

Comment

That's also interesting, I wonder if he had many of them to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony T-S View Post
                          That's also interesting, I wonder if he had many of them to sell?
                          I remember seeing 3, and all were in the same condition which is "strange" to start with.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X