suspicious paint on ek2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspicious paint on ek2

Recently purchased an ek2. According to "Iron Time", The 1939 crosses were painted flat black, then coated with dark lacquer to result in a dark,flat,lusterous finish. Mine was painted flat black, like the cheap black cardboard in cheap jewelry boxes. Also, the silver finish was peeling off at various places along the borders.I thought the borders were solid silver,neusilber, or some otherwise metal. And last, the tiny rings that make up the border were smashed together at the points, instead of interlocking together. Upon further examination, the piece looked "Floch" all over, and I returned it. My question is: what should the original paint job look like? On the majority of the 1939 crosses I encounter, the paint is as flat and dry looking as possible. Thanks!!!!!

The frame can have a transparent lacquer that are falling off.
    The core can be either matt black making it looking dry, or it can have a "eggshell" finish making it looking a bit wet.

Cheers.
    Peter

Comment

suspicious paint on ek2

My cross actually had silver looking metal peeling off! Thank you
      Originally posted by Peter Wiking
      The frame can have a transparent lacquer that are falling off.
      The core can be either matt black making it looking dry, or it can have a "eggshell" finish making it looking a bit wet.

Cheers.
      Peter

Comment

HMMMmmmm.......

Peter is right about the finish on different crosses. I have a 24 that is absolutely the flatest finish I have ever seen. Then a 26 that is sort of shiney. It can vary, and both are original.

Peter is also correct about the lacquer on the frame. But if it's silver plate (or paint), that's peeling away, that's not good. Fot the price of an EKII, IMO you did right by returning it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X