Knight's Cross- marked '4' .835

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's Cross- marked '4' .835

I went by someone's house this week and he showed me a KC.
    I didn't expect to see it and all I had was my camera phone.
    It is marked '4' .835 and th eloop is marked .800
    The ribbon is cut short & has no attaching ends.
    Any chance?
    Tim
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Not an original Knights Cross.

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

When I picked it up, I did notice that it felt extremely light. Not knowing that I would see it, I didn't have a scale with me. I will be going back over there and will take a good camera and scale.....just to be sure.
            Thanx Dietrich. See ya' at the SOS.
            Tim

Comment

This version RK, with cross-hatching at the ends of all arms and in the center next to the swastika, has been around for a very, very long time. It can be found with multiple false marks, including '20', '4', '2', etc., and one is actually shown, with a 1957 core and a set of brilliants attached, in Dietrich's book. (Others are in Gordon Williamson's book.) The only question I have about it is whether or not some pieces without maker identifying numbers might fall into the same category as the so-called "Sedlatzek" crosses and actually possibly be wartime. I have seen a very few of these which really looked and felt great and were very nice indeed. This is, of course, only speculation now.

Comment

I thought this might be a Sedlatzek as I looked at the photos. What is interesting is the comment that it felt light. I was surprised at how light the Souval is and assumed that it was partly due to the "flat" swaz. Perhaps not so. Its a pity these all got stamped with nonsense. It would be interesting to know how many may be the crosses Leroy mentions.

Comment

Hello Tony
                  I don't think so! In my opinion this cross has nothing to do with the so called "Sedlatzek KC" Neither in view of the frame nor in view of the core.

But I know what you mean....late Sovals have a very "light feeling" in the hand,too.

I think it would be very interesting to see a very close photo from the used maker marks especially from the "stamp 4"....of course other better photos will work,too

I think I saw such a cross in an old thread....in other respects I know nothing regarding this cross-type.
                  Heinz

Comment

I want to be clear that I was NOT saying that this cross was a "Sedlatzek". I was only saying that, perhaps like the "Sedlatzek" cross, there might be some examples of this kind of cross which could possibly be wartime.

Comment

Hello Leroy....I know.....my post refer to the post from Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony T-S View Post
                        I thought this might be a Sedlatzek as I looked at the photos. What is interesting is the comment that it felt light. I was surprised at how light the Souval is and assumed that it was partly due to the "flat" swaz. Perhaps not so. Its a pity these all got stamped with nonsense. It would be interesting to know how many may be the crosses Leroy mentions.
                        Later Souvval RK's were light as they didn't have a solid core but two thin stampings, one for the front and one for the back so in effect the core was a sandwich, hence the lightness, had several and took one apart.

an old photo of one of them, the cross is gone but have the oaks lying around somewhere, also stamped from thin sheet

Alex K
                        http://postimg.org/image/m16oxf24j/

Comment

I've looked more closely at the frame now, yes definitely not a Souval frame and so definitely not Sedlatzek. Very well soldered. The stamped halves of the Souval would definitely explain the lack of weight. Perhaps this copy is similar. A very interesting cross

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X