FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone has a first right? Seeking advice on buying an Iron Cross..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has a first right? Seeking advice on buying an Iron Cross..

About a year and a half ago I was planning to do a photography project that is likely not to happen.

During that time, I got it in my head to obtain an Iron Cross as part of the project.

Well the original idea isn't going to happen but a year and a half later I still find myself wanting to obtain an original WWII Iron cross and ribbon for my own collection.

To that end, I'd like to ask some advice.

Knowing what you do now, how would you go about obtaining your first Iron Cross?

My primary concern is I really do not want to obtain a fake.

My second is that I'd like to pay a fair price and not be gouged. :-)

So, what is a reasonable and fair price to expect to pay for an average decent condition EK2? (I expect an EK1 is out of my price range...)

In addition to the cross itself I'd love to have some ancillary items to go with it which are related to the EK. A ribbon of course, perhaps an envelope, or if at all possible some sort of paperwork that perhaps was part of the German paper trail for the cross.

Any input would be appreciated.

I do see that there is a sales forum on this site and I am wondering if generally those who sell there are pretty honest - (yea I know - loaded question)

If there are sellers who are particularly trustworthy on this forum, I'd like to know who they are. (Candidly, I think I'd prefer an American seller because it seems easier to deal with. )

If you'd like to PM me any screen-names of people you would likely stay away from that would help as well.

Thanks for any input!

First, it is a good idea to become a member of wehrmacht-awards.com since you will probably have more questions after you get your 1939 Iron Cross. Plus you can view the photos on this website and then look at what is available in the Medals, Badges & Awards Table forum. If you buy from a seller there, you can have total confidence in what you are buying and your ability to return it for any reason.

Basically: There are two grades: First Class and Second Class. First Class was harder to earn so there are fewer of them and the medal itself was designed to be pinned directly to the uniform. Second Class was hung from a ribbon attached to the uniform.

You can get a nice Second Class for under a hundred dollars and a nice First Class for under two hundred.

Comment

You can buy one from the eStand. Just post it for opinions before you pull the trigger to be sure. There are a lot of good originals for sale here. The best is probably the u/m 65er in post 4.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Well thanks for the suggestions so far... I guess my best bet at this point is to just keep an eye on the For Sale section and then ask about what I might be interested in from there here...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X