A Question for Moderator Stephen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,

Your last paragraph or so struck a familiar cord with me. I have some minature EK examples that may be "sweetheart" pendants, lockets or other monentoes of some kind. These have various dates other than the official 1914 date of institution. If memory serves me right I may have some dual date examples. I'll look and see if they are of interest to you.

Keep up the good work.

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Chris:
      I agree to your 5 points, including subparagraphs a) and b).
      Have your lawyers call mine.
      Hell is freezing over, you and I actually are in accordance on something.
      My 2000th post-not bad for 5+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by McCulloh
        Chris:
        I agree to your 5 points, including subparagraphs a) and b).
        Have your lawyers call mine.
        Hell is freezing over, you and I actually are in accordance on something.
        My 2000th post-not bad for 5+ years.
        Your 2000th post and you have to agree with me on it what a bummer !!!

Anyway, interesting thread, it allowed me to gather scattered thoughts on an important subject.
        All the best
        Chris

Comment

I've been reading Edward Lyell Fox's articles recently and this popped up (November, 1914 in Hamburg):
          ..."It was in a restaurant a few hours later that I saw my first Iron Cross, black against a gray-green coat and dangling from a button. In "Bieber's"-a typical better class cafe' of the new german type, luxurious with its marble floors and walls, with little soft rugs underfoot and colored wicker tables and chairs. On the broad landing of a wide marble staircase an orchestra played soldier songs and above the musicians, looking down on his people, loomed a bust of Wilhelm II. About him, between the flags of Austria-Hungary and Turkey, blazed the black, white and red and there where all might read, hung the proclamation of August to the German people...I had just finished reading it when I heard the rustlings of evening gowns and an excited inflection in the murmerings from many tables-"Das Eiserne Kreuz"! And we saw the officer from whose coat dangled the black cross, outlined in bright silver. Cheers rang out and then a song as he limped between the tables with his crinolined escourt. Finally the place quieted and everybody stared at that little cross of black as though held by some hypnotic power."
          Last edited by McCulloh; 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X