Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK_1 with blank core?

Hello all,

Saw this one and from the frame and reverse hardware I believe it may be authentic. Is this one that was stored poorly and was denazified via postwar regulation? The pitting on the reverse suggests ground-dug but I can't see how the core would have an even layer of paint if the date and swastika corroded away. Any thoughts?

William Kramer
    Attached Files
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

or someone wants you to believe that it's a 1813

Comment

It's a K&Q. Maybe a production mistake or something?
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
        or someone wants you to believe that it's a 1813
        very possible either way but I do believe the cross itself is a good K&Q.

Originally posted by streptile View Post
        It's a K&Q. Maybe a production mistake or something?
        but wouldn't the cross have been assembled in three separate pieces after the core was painted and prior to hardware being attached? That would lead me to believe it wouldn't have passed through to hardware assembly. To me, I would think the original core was removed for some reason but unfortunately I don't have side shots to look at the seams and these are the only photos we can go off of at the moment.

William Kramer

Comment

Likely scenario. Someone through it in an oven to separate the frame, then gorilla glued it back together (or something like that), with a blank/denaz'd core. Frame and backside are from Klein IMO, as well.

--Ken

Comment

Maybe a ground dug piece where the iron core has completely rusted away?

Comment

Looks a bit too clean for the core to be "ground dug". A "put together" at the very least IMO. Anyway...

--Ken

[QUOTE=Donnerwetter;6507544]Maybe a ground dug piece where the iron core has completely rusted away?
              Attached Files

Comment

From those pictures that cross looks more rough than clean... What I was suggesting was that the cross is totally void of the core (rusted away), sometimes seen on ground dug iron crosses. If so, then the darker area inside the frame is actually the inside of the backside of the cross.

[QUOTE=Panzercracker;6507556]Looks a bit too clean for the core to be "ground dug". A "put together" at the very least IMO. Anyway...

--Ken

Originally posted by Donnerwetter View Post
                Maybe a ground dug piece where the iron core has completely rusted away?

Comment

No way did that core just rust away. There would be severe pitting where the swastika and date would have been and then we would see paint residue on the edges from when the core would have had to been repainted. Separated frame and blank core added, but for what....1957 to be legal or 1813 to be fake?

William Kramer

Comment

Post it in the 1957 section to see what they think. There were blank core post war made EK1's. Tom

Comment

Looks like it was submerged in a corrosive agent that attacked the ferrus (iron) based core but did not greatly affect the nickle silver frame.

Ground dug? Perhaps in extremely acidic soil but not really feasable as the time frame since WWII is not long enough for such complete degradation of the iron core. One just needs to look at other historic iron based items that are hundreds to thousands of years old that have been ground dug. Ground dug as well as river found Viking swords are examples of iron objects surviving harsh conditions.

IMO someone messed around with this piece for some unknown reason.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
                      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X