Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This A Wide Frame EKII

Fellow Members,

Recently purchased from Herr Niemann as a non-maker marked EKII for a guy in the office who wanted a cheap but good condition EKII.

The guy wanted it cleaned up (!!!) so I obliged and in doing so I thought that somehow it looked different from my other EKII's.

Measuring the size and arms we get 45mm and 26.5mm respectfully.

No '24' on the ring but there seems to be an 'acorn' on the frame ring which I believe was also used by this maker.

Is this a wide frame '24'?

He hasn't seen the EKII yet and if this is a wide frame I'll get him another EK.

As always, thanking in advance...

Attached Files

Howdy,

It could be, but from memory the swaz' arms look thin. I'll check mine when I get home tonight.

Does it have a low swaz and date? On most I've seen, the finish (paint) is very flat in appearance. And be careful cleaning one of these, you'll take the paint right off. Where the paint is chipped, is the core very shiney?

The acorn is another good sign for 24. There was another thread not long ago that got my attention about the number of strange markings on the 24's. Those are the ones I'm keeping an eye out for.

These aren't all that uncommon. I have a 19 that also has a wide frame.

Comment

mine:
      Attached Files

Comment

btw
        could someone tell me the widths in millimeters of the different sized ek2's please:

1. 'standard'
        2. 'wideframe'
        3. 'übergrosse'
        4. 'KC-sized'

(have I got that list right?)
        regards
        jon

Comment

What do you think Jon?

Looks like a 24 to me.

Don't qoute me but I think:

-Standard is 44mm, although my #1 is a little bigger
          -Wide frame I believe is also 44mm, It's the construction that makes it look bigger.
          -Ubergrosse is I think 47mm
          -RK is normally 48-48.5mm

But George probably knows for sure.

Comment

Wide frames are 45mm.

Comment

thanks guys, here's my acorn!
              jon
              Attached Files

Comment

The first "24" I measured was 45.3 mm wide by 44.75 high. (Two to go.)
                George

Comment

"24s"

Second one: 45.15 mm wide by 44.8 mm high

Third one: 45.2 mm wide by 45.2 mm high
                  George

Comment

George,

Do you think you could be a little more precise please?

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

With the acorn mark and frame width of 45mm can we confirm that it is an unmarker '24' wide frame EKII?

Comment

Ek2 Friend

Why dont you tell your friend that you've bought him a cross that might be a wide frame and HE could Look into, maybe HE could start to collect, would you still tell him if this is a rare wide frame/round 3 ? cheers MATE

Originally posted by hagwalther
                        Thanks for all the help guys.

With the acorn mark and frame width of 45mm can we confirm that it is an unmarker '24' wide frame EKII?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
                          Why dont you tell your friend that you've bought him a cross that might be a wide frame and HE could Look into, maybe HE could start to collect, would you still tell him if this is a rare wide frame/round 3 ? cheers MATE
                          I'm not too sure what you are getting at here but if you have any information in regard to the classification of this EKII would you please share it with us all.

Comment

Hagwalther,

I think you have an unmarked 24. If you want to keep it, keep it. Get your friend another cross. You are the one who found it and you are doing him a favor by doing that. It's not that rare, and from what you tell us, he probably really wouldn't care who made it, as long as you found him a nice example. I don't see it as any big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzerman
                              Hagwalther,

I think you have an unmarked 24. If you want to keep it, keep it. Get your friend another cross. You are the one who found it and you are doing him a favor by doing that. It's not that rare, and from what you tell us, he probably really wouldn't care who made it, as long as you found him a nice example. I don't see it as any big deal.
                              Thanks Jim,

Very much appreciated. I only wish I hadn't cleaned it up but, saying that, I would never have noticed the wider frame and acorn.

This acorn thing is a new one on me. Do other EKII's have markings on the frame ring as opposed to the more common makers mark on the ribbon ring???

As always, Thanking in advance...

Regards ...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X