K&Q RK for opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&Q RK for opinions

Have a look at this beauty. It's marked 800 on the cross and 800/65 on the loop. It seems that this cross has the die flaw on the upper arm but it is pretty hard to tell.

All input appreciated on this nice example.

Last edited by herrgeezer; 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM.

Very nice original K&Q ! Tom

Comment

I agree with Tom,that is a good one.
      Regards
      Michael

Comment

Nice example. One question though, has the core been touched up? I see areas that seem to be glossy as opposed to areas not so much.

Chet
        Zinc stinks!

Comment

Interesting question. I don't think so, but it may have been cleaned or at least rubbed over to give the shine on some spots. The frame gives no indication of a repaint (nor a general clean). It will be interesting to see what people think. Lovely the Cross, this is the one I'd love for my collection. One of each 65.

Comment

Hi

original 65"KC

Comment

No touch up IMO

Comment

I agree that the core seems to have an unusual glistening, but that may be do to the angle of the photograph. Hope to see it in better light soon.

Thank you all for the comments so far.

Comment

Is it common knowledge of when the die flaw first appeared in the production of K&Q crosses? Do only wartime K&Qs have this flaw? How many sets of K&Q KC dies were there? Is there a sure fire way of telling pre-1945 from post war production?

I'm sure for those of you who know more about KCs in general that my questions may not seem very astute, but I've been trying to find more information on the forum and other internet sources in hopes of establishing the time frame in which the flaw became a part of the production process and I don't have any real reference to fall back on so I'm reaching out to you.

How about the 800/65 marked loops? Are they more common vs. the 800 only marked loop?

Thanks again for your comments so far and I hope to hear from others too.

Comment

Jamie Cross listed (and sold) one of these on his update.

http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/

Comment

Looks like a good cross to me.

Comment

Definitely an original cross. An unmistakable K&Q in every detail.

The core may have been repainted, but it may be the visual effects of a
                        Vaseline treatment.

Nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by herrgeezer View Post
                          Is it common knowledge of when the die flaw first appeared in the production of K&Q crosses? Do only wartime K&Qs have this flaw? How many sets of K&Q KC dies were there? Is there a sure fire way of telling pre-1945 from post war production?

I'm sure for those of you who know more about KCs in general that my questions may not seem very astute, but I've been trying to find more information on the forum and other internet sources in hopes of establishing the time frame in which the flaw became a part of the production process and I don't have any real reference to fall back on so I'm reaching out to you.

How about the 800/65 marked loops? Are they more common vs. the 800 only marked loop?

Thanks again for your comments so far and I hope to hear from others too.
                          The K&Q crosses without the flaw and without the 65 mm are a lot less common, and although the flaw gets more pronounced with the passage of time I dont know enough to say when it started in the "timeline".

Comment

Originally posted by nick-j View Post
                            The K&Q crosses without the flaw and without the 65 mm are a lot less common, and although the flaw gets more pronounced with the passage of time I dont know enough to say when it started in the "timeline".
                            Dietrich Maerz states in his splendid book "This likely happened after November 1944, since Hartmann cross does not have the flaw."
                            By the way a nice cross
                            Regards,
                            Mats

Comment

K & Q must have really been turning them out after Nov 44 !! most of the examples you see have this flaw -- possibly as much as 90-95% ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X