German Spain Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Spain Cross

It is not a Spanish Cross, not produced by Spain, not given by Spain. Early English writers on TR awards badly translated. A veteran of the Wehrmacht who speaks perfect English about had a fit when I called it a Spanish Cross after translating a couple of documents. And if you don't believe this German Wehrmacht veteran, I know you'll believe Google.
    Attached Files

Point taken.

Wonder what else it will do?
    Attached Files

Comment

Point taken:

and

Uwe

Comment

How now........
        Attached Files

Comment

...Brown Cow?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey, this is fun!
            Attached Files

Comment

So, as far as Google is concerned, when translating from English to German,
              "Knight Cross", "Knights Cross" and "Knight's Cross" all come out as "Ritterkreuz".

But, when going from German to English, "Ritterkreuz" is "Knight's Cross".

And "Spanien-Kreuz" (how it appears on documents) is "Spain Cross", just as Brian says.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                So, as far as Google is concerned, when translating from English to German,
                "Knight Cross", "Knights Cross" and "Knight's Cross" all come out as "Ritterkreuz".

But, when going from German to English, "Ritterkreuz" is "Knight's Cross".

And "Spanien-Kreuz" (how it appears on documents) is "Spain Cross", just as Brian says.
                Not to mention any german speaking person would agree.

Comment

Hi,

for me as a German there is no difference between a Spanien-Kreuz and a Spanienkreuz.

And for me as a German the translation from Ritterkreuz to knight's cross is not correct, knights cross is acceptable and knight cross is correct.

This is my very personal opinion.

And I'm not "any German".

Uwe

Comment

If you say Spanish Cross is a correct translation I would say you might indeed not be any German.
                    Last edited by Brian S; 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Here is a Spanish cross. Made in Spain.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is very sad. It must be a conspiracy between Google.com and Google.de.

Here's the big question: who gets to invade who???????
                        Attached Files

Comment

Your collection of Spanish crosses never ceases to amaze me Brian.

Comment

Brian,
                            Are those amethyst in the cross? Very nice.

Comment

"Spanish" Cross (not confused with Spain Cross)

Wearer's Copy. Authentic. Period manufacture. Recently purchased from Retching Eagle. Vagiamonds. Provenance to Ernst Moldyiers.

The Spanish Cross in Gold with diamonds was only awarded 28 times with such notable personalities as Adolph Galland, Gunter Lutzow, Werner Molders and Walter Oesau being among them. This remains a masterpiece of early Third Reich quality and craftsmanship and is just one stunning example of this very scarce Spanish Civil War decoration.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X