Was Rudel's RK Destroyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Rudel's RK Destroyed?

I read a biography of Ludwig Havighorst in Luftwaffe Aces by Franz Kurowski. in this book Havighorst is quoted as follows regarding his internment in a camp near Cherbourg after his capture by US troops:

'The guards stole everything they could lay their hands on. They took my blanket, shelter half and 'bone sack' - the baggy paratrooper smock - during the coldest night of April 1945. On the morning of 9 May we learned that the war was over.

The day before we were joined by Oberst Hans-ulrich Rudel. He was my tent mate for fourteen days. He was a man of unflappable character. When an officer of the guard ordered us to toss all our decorations and medals onto a shelter half, Ulrich Rudel provided the example for the rest of us. He smashed his decorations - including the Golden Oakleaves with Swords and Diamonds - with a stone. We all did the same. When the man came to collect the shelter half, there was just a pile of junk lying on it. After its treatment with the stone, my German Cross in Gold was no bigger than a walnut.'

Is this story well-known and verified? I have certainly read many times that US troops 'collected' the awards from their German prisoners more routinely than captors from other Western nations but I had not previously read of this event.

From Rudel's autobiography: "Almost everything except what we have on our persons is stolen during the night. The most valuable thing I miss is my flight log-book in which is recorded in detail every operational flight, from the first to the two thousand, five hundred and thirtieth. Also a replica of the "diamonds," the citation for the diamond pilot medal, the high Hungarian decoration and a lot else are gone, not to mention watches and other things."

His RK was not destroyed and he kept it until the end of his life.

Tom B. talked a few times with H. Ulrich Rudel and he can give you a better insight than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
      From Rudel's autobiography: "Almost everything except what we have on our persons is stolen during the night. The most valuable thing I miss is my flight log-book in which is recorded in detail every operational flight, from the first to the two thousand, five hundred and thirtieth. Also a replica of the "diamonds," the citation for the diamond pilot medal, the high Hungarian decoration and a lot else are gone, not to mention watches and other things."

His RK was not destroyed and he kept it until the end of his life.

Tom B. talked a few times with H. Ulrich Rudel and he can give you a better insight than me.

He had his original Golden set and a set of silver OSD, a set of O&S's a set of Oaks. And His Pilot obser. badge with diamonds. I saw all of these on a visit to his home. Tom

Comment

Is it possible he had copies made for 'everyday wear'? This might explain his willingness to smash them, if the quoted event happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O. View Post
          Is it possible he had copies made for 'everyday wear'? This might explain his willingness to smash them, if the quoted event happened.
          Yes, he wore his "official" copies. Thats why he retained his items until he died. I can't remember how, but the RK he still had was his original one. Tom

Comment

The more I hear and read about Oberst Rudel, the more I like him!

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
              Unquestionably he was an extraordinary man.

Comment

Well considering he was a unrepentant Nazi to the end, he doesn't get any hero worship from me ...

Comment

Maybe if he had a Polish girlfriend/wife, he'd been repentant.

--Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                    Well considering he was a unrepentant Nazi to the end, he doesn't get any hero worship from me ...
                    I never understood anyone's esteem for Rudel either. The guy continued to promote Nazi ideology for over 25 years (!) after the war, well after the crimes of the regime were known around the world. To me he was despicable.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I have always been a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
                        I have always been a fan.
                        I respect his military service but not his politics.

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                          I respect his military service but not his politics.
                          I also respect his military career but in an individual setting I would find him disgusting.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure any collector or museum would love to have his medals and estate, and I'm no exception. But I agree with Stephen: I think it would be quite odious to be in the same room with this guy in 1980 (!) and listen to him prattle on about what a visionary the Führer was, after everything was known about the enormous crimes he perpetrated in the name of the entire German nation.
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

To clear any eventual misunderstandings, I was talking about Oberst Rudel as a soldier.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X