Now it's only a memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now it's only a memory

I bought this in 1967 ($15.00) with ribbon and narrow tan packet. For years everyone told me it was a copy/repro/fake, well I believed them. I didn't know about mm then as few others did as well. I took a picture of it and later on traded it away. I wasn't until just a couple of years ago I found this negative and scanned it in a as you can see a makers' mark "27". The old "If I had known then" reared it's ugly head at me.
    Last edited by coastie; 07-22-2007, 11:24 PM.

Charlie....'67 and $15 I think not likely!

Maybe the memory is going......
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

I don't know how you guys did it back in those days without the wealth of knowledge on the interent and in modern books.

But I guess years back there were not as many fakes being produced either.

Comment

Really! I got a cased EK 1 for $15 five years later!
        George

Comment

'67 heck I was buying HJ daggers for $8 to $10 then...
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
            Charlie....'67 and $15 I think not likely!

Maybe the memory is going......
            It was 67, and I searched for a year to find one in good old KCMO and when I say it I had to have it. It was in a coin shop on the other end of town, got out of school early (My parents didn't know this) grabbed a bus and went to the shop. Bought it and headed back downtown to meet my Dad in time when he got off of work.
            Being 16 with limited transportation and "freedom of movement" I had to go where I knew I could find one. This Coin Shop prices were a little high but to me it was the only game in town.

Comment

Of course I was young and naive, now I'm just older.

As I said in the last thread there wasn't much out there for me to find at the time.

I do remember there were HJ Daggers at those prices and they were about the only thing you could find, but I had no interest in them.

Comment

Oh no....dealers were doing to little boys then as they continue to do to adults today....
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Oh no....dealers were doing to little boys then as they continue to do to adults today....
                  Yeah I know, this shop was the only one I knew that had TR stuff. I would have been happy with a 1914 EK but he had none. I seem to remember an RK but back then I didn't know what that was, anyway it was more than 15.00. I did buy a Mutter's cross from him earlier for 5.00.

Comment

One other thing my Mother wouldn't let me have knives

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X