Knight's Cross ribbon "used"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's Cross ribbon "used"

Lost to history but allegedly to a Panzer man...

Who else has neck ribbon showing use?
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Dave

Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Regards,
        Dave

Comment

It's interesting that you should post that, Dave, because I was just thinking today about how many RKs I see in the cases with the ribbons not used at all. What percentage of RKs that you see have the ribbon "used" as the one above is, and what percentage seem never to have been worn?
          George

Comment

George, the cased RK's may be a bit mis-leading as the ribbon may look complete but might be missing 6 to 10" as it seems common that a bit of ribbon was cut and used for the neck ribbon and then other guys used any sort of neck hanger...

I've seen quite a few 'cased' sets with only 2/3rds +/- of the original 73cm of ribbon.

I have picked these up over the years and even had displays of different 'methods' of wearing but as my collecting tastes changed I sold a few...

Really incredible are the number of 'manner' in which these things were used!
            Last edited by Dave Kane; 11-13-2004, 09:56 PM.
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Good point! (I can't say that I've unraveled all the ribbons! )
              George

Comment

That is great, Dave! All mine are "snipped" and do not have the actual worn portion of the ribbon. Given the fact that there are few crosses that have the worn "wearer's ribbon", I wonder how many of these are out there. I think one of the reasons for the long ribbon in the initial award is illustrated by Dave's cross. Who knows- there may have been the supposition that these were going to be worn over several decades and the full lenght of the ribbon would be needed over that time span, piece by piece.

Comment

George, I have several others but I'd like to see those in other collections prior to showing mine....this could be a lot of fun!
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

I'd always looked at those mint ribbons in the case and thought "What a crock!" But your ideas make a lot of sense.
                    That's why I stay out of the RK discussions, I realize I don't know schiesse!

Here's the backside of my worn ribbon. The cross is a veteran of over 500 ground attack missions.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hooks

Some attachment detials for you....Luftwaffe awarded K&Q cross.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

A 7 inch length of ribbon, pinch sewn in centre, and ties sewn to each end.
                        Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:38 AM.

Comment

reverse.......
                          Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM.

Comment

closer on the centre..........
                            Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Another!
                              Regards,
                              Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X