WWI vs. WWII EK ribbon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI vs. WWII EK ribbon...

I've often wondered why the warp, and possibly the weft, count were changed sometime between WWI and WWII in the EK ribbons. In the examples I show below the warp count in the 1914 EKII ribbon's white stripe is (35), the warp count in the 1939 ribbon is a mere (18). I've measured the white stripe and found that the 1914 is 5.3 mm wide on average, the 1939 4.8 mm wide on average.

Can anyone shed some light on why the ribbon's warp and weft were changed?

Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Not sure why changes were made .... from WW1 to WW2 ribbons .
      The WW1 ribbons are close to the same ... strangely the WW2 EK ribbons are a free-frawl of variations . The bands and strand width varies on WW2 ribbons substantialy .. probably by ribbon maker .
      Might be of some interest - a small study and only a few samples showing the WW2 ribbon variations .
      Were there any guide lines ?... does not look like it . Overall total width for intended purpose - yes.... the color bands themselves .... many variations .
      A few shown below .

Douglas
      Attached Files

Comment

Other variations :
        Attached Files

Comment

More :
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting subject, never given this much thought though.

I will for sure follow this topic.

I will look through my ribbons, and see if I can find some diviations.

/Flemming

Comment

Yes Flemming .... you will find many variations amongst yours .
              I kept it very simple here . Not shown are the over all ribbon thicknesses - internal thread thickness variations and the soft , silky ,stiff types .... straight and twisted strands and color variations . ... and more .

Douglas

Comment

Very interesting Douglas,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. You've helped very much. There may have been regulations on the ribbons, and I am hoping that someone will share these with us.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X