RK- on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK- on the way

This is an unusual cross that does not come up often. It is a juncker neusilber framed cross with an (Correction!) with a non-magnetic core weighing 27.95 grams with the loop. There are no markings.It is attributed to Oskar Radwan, lt. colonel 13th motorized infantry. He was awarded the RK 7/40 for securing river crossings in France. He was later KIA in Russia 6/42. The cross will be here on Monday for more pics. The different feature about this cross, which Dave Kane has pointed out, is the fact that this has angled ended loop tips, as opposed to rounded, and appears to not be 800 silver marked. Early juncker crosses had the rounded tip loop with the large "800" stamp. The claim is that the loop has not been changed- he never received oaks, so there would not be an obvious reson for the loop to be switched. Pieter felt as though the unmarked neusilber loop can be consistent with the cross. I just would not wait until this arrives to post this for discussion!
    Last edited by tom hansen; 11-06-2004, 10:03 AM.

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

loop
      Attached Files

Comment

whole effect with photo of Radwan
        Attached Files

Comment

I would like to get some discussion started regarding unmarked juncker RKs.

1. Prior to 1941, some awarded crosses were made of non standard materials for the frame and core, both of which this cross represents. Likewise, display pieces were made of non-standard material as well, even after 1941. I guess from what I have read, these display pieces are generally silver plated. How does one determine, without decent provenance, whether a piece would be an early award peice vs retail display??

2. When non-standard crosses were tunred over to the government, despite the ban on non-standard materials, were some of these crosses later awarded after 1941? Are there examples of later awarded non-standard crosses with provenance?

3. Given the outward appearance of these crosses, and the difficulty in evaluting neusilber vs silver, and iron vs zinc without a magnet, did the ban on non-standard materials apply to the MANUFACTURE of these crosses, but not necessarily the AWARDING of these pieces? Would the government sit down and slap a magnet on these and try to determine what the frame was made of? There must have been SOME external quality controls.
          Last edited by tom hansen; 11-06-2004, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Very nice Tom!

A jeweler should be able to determine whether the loop is silver or not, they have ways of testing metals without damaging them. My guess is if it is not stamped, it is not silver. I think all you 3 points above would be answered if someone came forward with a cross such as this with known provenance.

Best,

Comment

Harry-

This cross does have provenance. I think the nuesilber cross that Pieter has, which is pictured in Gordon's book, is attributed as well. The jeweler idea is an interesting one about the loop -thanks!

Hopefully some of the RK experts will weigh in on this issue, as I would think most RK collectors would find this an interesting topic.

Comment

Sorry Tom,

I should have included in my reply crosses with provenance awarded after 1942.

Comment

Yes, I think that would be interesting. Pieter's cross, which is listed in Gordon's book, appears to have an award date of 5/40.

Comment

Hi Tom. Interesting RK.
                    Can you confirm that there is a gap between the frame and core?

Cheers.
                    Peter
                    Attached Files

Comment

I do not have the cros yet, Peter. The photos are all I have right now. I will have to take a look when it arrives.

Comment

Is there anyone out there with non-magnetic core juncker RKs with a nickle or neusilber frame???

Comment

Tom,

You probably have seen Kai Winkler's item no: 8772, if not check it out. How does his compare with yours, including what you paid!?

Best,

Comment

Unmarked Juncker

Here are a couple of photos of my unmarked Juncker I had in my files. I'll have to try to take better ones. This cross features a magnetic core, 800 marked loop, and the early slightly glossier paint as found on the L/12 marked pieces. The RK is completely unmarked.
                            Erich
                            Festina lente!

Comment

Unmarked Juncker

The reverse.
                              Erich
                              Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X